Satelite orbiting earth in a circular path

In summary, the orbiting speed (m/s) of a satellite orbiting Earth in a circular path 1000 km above Earth's surface can be calculated using the equation v=sqrt(G*M/r), where G is the universal constant of 6.67E-11, M is the mass of Earth (6E24 kg) and r is the sum of the radius of Earth (6.37E6 m) and the distance of the satellite from Earth (7.37E6 m). After solving for v, the result is 7369 m/s. It is possible that the teacher's website is experiencing technical difficulties.
cortozld

Homework Statement

What is the orbiting speed (m/s) of a satelite orbiting Earth in a circular path 1000 km above Earth's surface? (Use 4 sig figs)

Homework Equations

universal constant of 6.67E-11
r of Earth 6.37E6 m (given by teacher)
mass of Earth 6E24 kg (given by teacher)

derived v=sqrt(G*M/r)

this is what i have read will solve this equation for me

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted the 1000 km above Earth to m and added that and the radiace of Earth together to get 7.67E6 m (r) then I solved for v: sqrt(6.67E-11*6E24/7.37E6)=7369 m/s

what am I doing wrong? There is also a possiblity that the teacher is wrong, its happened before on his website

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi cortozld! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
cortozld said:
r of Earth 6.37E6 m (given by teacher)

First I converted the 1000 km above Earth to m and added that and the radiace of Earth together to get 7.67E6 m (r) then I solved for v: sqrt(6.67E-11*6E24/7.67E6)=7369 m/s

You've used 7.67E6 instead of 7.37E6 …

does that make a difference? :smile:

that was an accidental typo, my bad. I believe its my teachers website, he's been having lots of problems with it since the year started. So unless anyone has an idea about what I'm doing wrong I'll just have to talk to him on Mon.

1. What is a satellite?

A satellite is an object that is launched into space and orbits around a larger celestial body, such as a planet. In the context of this question, the satellite is orbiting the Earth in a circular path.

2. How does a satellite orbit the Earth in a circular path?

A satellite orbits the Earth in a circular path due to the balance between the gravitational pull of the Earth and the satellite's forward motion. The satellite's velocity and distance from the Earth are carefully calculated to maintain a circular orbit.

3. What is the purpose of a satellite orbiting the Earth in a circular path?

There are many purposes for launching satellites into orbit around the Earth. Some common reasons include communication, weather monitoring, navigation, and scientific research. Satellites in circular orbits can also help provide consistent coverage of a specific area.

4. How long does it take for a satellite to complete one orbit around the Earth?

The time it takes for a satellite to complete one orbit around the Earth depends on its altitude and velocity. For example, a satellite in a low Earth orbit of 200 km may take around 90 minutes to complete one orbit, while a geostationary satellite at an altitude of 36,000 km takes 24 hours to complete one orbit.

5. What happens if a satellite's orbit is not perfectly circular?

If a satellite's orbit is not perfectly circular, it will experience slight variations in its distance from the Earth throughout its orbit. This can affect its speed and the time it takes to complete an orbit. These variations can be corrected by using thrusters to make adjustments to the satellite's orbit.