Riemann Sum and partition

In summary, the homework statement asks for the distances and function values of the points of a specific partition of [0,1] . The student was not able to solve the problem.
fishingspree2
Hello everyone, I have passed my integral calculus class and it's been a little while so I don't really remember everything. Can anyone help me out with this?

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = sqrt(x), x E [0,1]

and [tex]P=\left \{ 0,\left ( \frac{1}{n} \right )^{2}, \left ( \frac{2}{n} \right )^{2}...\left ( \frac{k-1}{n} \right )^{2}, \left ( \frac{k}{n} \right )^{2}...\left ( \frac{n-1}{n} \right )^{2}, 1\right \}[/tex] a partition of [0,1]

a) Find [tex]\Delta x_{k}[/tex] and [tex]f\left ( x_{k} \right )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the question. I remember the general method, we divide the interval in n little parts and we let n go to infinity, the parts get smaller and smaller and we add their area to find the total area over the interval. but i don't understand what's asked. Why are the elements in the partition squared?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a specific partition of [0,1] (notice that the points are not evenly spaced, but they still form a partition). I think all you're asked to do is find the distances (the deltas) between the points of the partition, as well as the function values of the points of the partition. This question doesn't seem to be asking about any limits.

how do i do that can you please give me a hint :shy:

Remember, how do you partition an arbitrary interval [a,b]? What is [tex]\triangle x_k=x_k-x_{k-1}[/tex] right?
What does x_k represent, the k-th partition point right? which one is that in P?

the length of one interval is [tex]\left ( \frac{k}{n} \right )^{2}-\left ( \frac{k-1}{n} \right )^{2}=\frac{2k-1}{n^{2}}[/tex]

is the area under the curve on the interval [0,1] [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left ( \frac{2k-1}{n^{2}} \right )\cdot f\left ( \frac{2k-1}{n^{2}} \right )[/tex]? i don't know what to do with the k in that expression

Remember it is not [tex] f(\triangle x_k)..but...f(x_k)[/tex]

Alright, this is what i have found (remember that f(x) = sqrt(x)

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}f(x_{k})\Delta x_{k}=\frac{1}{2}n+1-\frac{1}{2n^{2}}[/tex]

now if I take the limit as n goes to infinity, I get infinity... I don't understand

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a mathematical concept used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the curve into smaller rectangles and calculating the sum of their areas. It is an important tool in calculus and is used to solve problems involving integration.

2. What is a partition in relation to Riemann Sums?

A partition, also known as a subinterval, is a division of the interval over which the Riemann Sum is being calculated. It is used to determine the width of the rectangles in the approximation and is typically denoted by the letter "n". The smaller the partition, the more accurate the Riemann Sum will be.

3. How do you calculate a Riemann Sum?

To calculate a Riemann Sum, you need to first determine the width of each rectangle by dividing the interval into equal subintervals. Then, you find the height of each rectangle by evaluating the function at a specific point within each subinterval. Finally, you multiply the width and height of each rectangle and add all the results together to get the approximate area under the curve.

4. What is the difference between a left, right, and midpoint Riemann Sum?

A left Riemann Sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to determine the height of the rectangle, a right Riemann Sum uses the right endpoint, and a midpoint Riemann Sum uses the midpoint of each subinterval. These different methods can result in slightly different approximations, but as the partition gets smaller, they all converge to the same value.

5. How is a Riemann Sum related to the definite integral?

A Riemann Sum is a way to approximate the area under a curve, while a definite integral is a precise way to calculate this area. As the partition gets smaller and the number of rectangles increases, the Riemann Sum becomes closer and closer to the value of the definite integral. In fact, the definite integral is defined as the limit of the Riemann Sum as the partition approaches infinity.