Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
hypatia said:
We got a really nice 4 inches yesterday, its beautiful, like frosting on a cake. A really cold arctic blast on the way for tomorrow, and I'm going sledding!
You Nawtheners are CRAZY! :tongue2:

I was born and raised in Houston, TX. I'm not made for this kind of cold. I can't stand heat either, which is why I moved away.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I was born and raised in Houston, TX. I'm not made for this kind of cold.
I can tell. When you comment on waht's picture, all I could think of was "huh?" I would take a "snow-storm" like that once a week all winter, GLADLY.

hypatia said:
We got a really nice 4 inches yesterday

Judging from the mail I am getting on the daily basis, calling 4 inches nice is an exagerration.

turbo-1 said:
I can tell. When you comment on waht's picture, all I could think of was "huh?" I would take a "snow-storm" like that once a week all winter, GLADLY.
Well we don't have many trees to block the wind. I had something like this behind my car this morning.
022507.jpg

I don't get any snow at all. Just what is still lying around after last snow fall. Probably a good thing, since I don't want to worry about mowing the stuff away in this cold.

It's about 12-14 F, on the way down to some lower number tonight. We had between 1-2 inches this morning and another inch during the afternoon.

Tonight we did Japanese takeout - entres of eel, salmon, and chicken and beef teriyaki. Each came with a salad with ginger sauce, and miso soup. Hot miso soup is great on a cold night. The eel and salmon came with wasabi and pickled ginger root, which is great if one has cold or sinus congestion.

Evo said:

I was born and raised in Houston, TX. I'm not made for this kind of cold. I can't stand heat either, which is why I moved away.

Where you at evo?? somewhere in the middle of the USA? close to the coast?

Evo said:
Wow, that's a lot of snow.

That's pretty much a highlight of the year, unless it's the freak year. Most roads get cleared quickly and are salted, so it's safe to drive.
Well we don't have many trees to block the wind. I had something like this behind my car this morning.

That's some serious snow drift.

Astronuc said:
Tonight we did Japanese takeout - entres of eel, salmon, and chicken and beef teriyaki. Each came with a salad with ginger sauce, and miso soup. Hot miso soup is great on a cold night. The eel and salmon came with wasabi and pickled ginger root, which is great if one has cold or sinus congestion.

Sounds good. Did you have Sake? I hear it's great to keep you warm.

Cyclovenom said:
Where you at evo?? somewhere in the middle of the USA? close to the coast?
Kansas City, where it says -17F

Evo said:

You'd love Seattle, Evo...not too hot, not too cold, not many bugs, pretty mountains and ocean...:smile:

lisab said:
You'd love Seattle, Evo...not too hot, not too cold, not many bugs, pretty mountains and ocean...:smile:
I know, I have a good friend that lives in Portland, that's nice too.

well, besides the forecast that its supposed to get up into the 30's next week, I can tell in the morning and evening that the days are getting longer already.

Evo said:
Kansas City, where it says -17F
Grow a pair. You plaines-staters love to pretend that you are living in conditions that the rest of us of have to buckle down and live with. Wow. The wind-speed can make it feel cold. Is this rocket science? :biggrin:

Last edited:
waht said:
Sounds good. Did you have Sake? I hear it's great to keep you warm.
I thought about it, but decided not to drink alcohol tonight. I did have some night hot tea while the food was being prepared.

lisab said:

Not to mention the fact that both mountains and ocean can be rarely seen because it rains.

Borek said:
Not to mention the fact that both mountains and ocean can be rarely seen because it rains.
Thus the popularity of book-stores and coffee-shops.

Borek said:
... because it rains.

Uh... that is liquid sunshine. Please get with the program here!

Every now and then that big, scary, bright thing appears in the sky. Thank goodness it doesn't happen too often.

Ivan Seeking said:
Uh... that is liquid sunshine. Please get with the program here!

Every now and then that big, scary, bright thing appears in the sky. Thank goodness it doesn't happen too often.
Send it here! We have seen far too little of the light-monster the past couple of years.

Today we have sun and have just broken through 15 degrees. The wind is probably 30mph or so with higher gusts, but altogether, it's a pleasant January day. BTW, this is the "cold snap" that was forecast for our weekend. I was a clerk/asst superintendent on a large construction project during the mid-70s, and one of my duties was to record high and low temperatures every day. For a two-week period, the temperature never got up above the single digits, and every night the lows were around 20 below or lower. This "cold snap" is a heat wave, in comparison.

In the east we have been escaping the Midwest cold weather. However! a high pressure system to the north will push a lot of that fright air in for a week or so beginning over the weekend.

Temp here right now -0.2°C with light snow pellets.
The low temp last night was -5.3°C.

I dislike the temps above zero in the day and below at night. It tends to freeze up my weather station anemometer.

Won't have to be concerned next week though the average temps here should be -10°C day, -15°C night.

Arg! come on spring...

turbo-1 said:
Send it here! We have seen far too little of the light-monster the past couple of years.

Sometimes when it shows itself after a long absence, I get an urge to throw a bone at it, like the apes reacting to the Monolith in 2001 - A Space Odyssey.

it just got to 8° F here---

when it gets cold (high pressure) the sun comes out more often, but -whew- what a price to pay to have the sun shine

It was 0°F this morning at 0700. Now it's a balmy 24°F with the sun shining and sky is partly cloudy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Rabbit looks like frozen.

No he is just stoned.

It was snowing for the last three days here.

snow_2010_1.jpg

snow_2010_2.jpg

dlgoff said:
022507.jpg
I think it slid off his roof.

Lots of 20 deg F weather here in NJ. Occasionally it will get into the mid 30's F. Still, it's colder than I remember it being the past few years, but I think we have it better than most of you in this thread. Hang in there, and don't send it here. :yuck:

Borek, you could build an igloo.

waht said:
Borek, you could build an igloo.
Nah, that is not nearly enough snow. Ideally when you build an igloo you have a meter or so of snow and then you just make blocks by cutting it out straight from the snow mass on the ground to build the igloo. You don't want to build with packed snow like that.

I'll steam off about men's winter headgear -- I cannot find a product that has a visor and good insulation. My microfiber beanie (underarmor) is very warm, but doesn't have a visor. I recently bought a flleece cap (patagonia) with a visor and earflaps, which looked like what I needed, only to discover it doesn't really protect in sub-zero temperatures because (unlike the beanie) it does not have an additional layer. Has anyone run into this problem before? Any suggestions??

Me and my baby got Popsicle toes.

it's still above 20 deg here. Too warm for January, though if the wet lows from the Gulf stay away, we might be able to duck some heavy storms.

We seem to have hit our high for the day. 15 degrees and sunny with 15-20 mph winds. Not the arctic stuff that Januaries used to be made of, but more normal, at least. If the arctic high will settle on us and steer storms around us, that would be fine by me. I hate shoveling snow.