The largest interval for which a certain solution is unique

• Thread starter Juggler123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the individual is looking for the largest interval where the given initial value problem will have a unique solution. They are having trouble understanding a theorem on existence and uniqueness of solutions. An example problem is given, and the individual thinks that the interval must be greater than or equal to 1 according to the theorem, but is unsure. They ask for help and mention that x = 0 is a potential problem.
Juggler123
Hi, I need to find out what the largest interval in which the given intial value problem is certain to have a unique solution. I don't really know how to approach this problem though, I have a theorem on existence and uniquness of solutions but I'm finding it hard to make sense of it. I've got quite a few problems to have a look at, an example would be;

xy[tex]^{''}[/tex] +4y = x, y(2)=1, y[tex]^{'}[/tex](2)=2

Trying to make sense of the theorem I think the answer would be that the interval must be greater than equal to 1, but this is probably complete rubbish.

Any help would be great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you state the theorem that you have to work with? You just have to check the hypotheses of the theorem against this particular equation. My guess would be x = 0 represents a problem.

1. What does "unique solution" mean in the context of an interval?

A unique solution refers to a single, specific value or range of values that satisfies a given equation or set of conditions within a defined interval. It is the only solution that meets the criteria and cannot be replaced by any other value or range.

2. How is the largest interval for a unique solution determined?

The largest interval for a unique solution is determined by analyzing the equation or conditions and finding the largest range of values that satisfies them. This interval may be limited by constraints or limitations within the equation or conditions.

3. Can the largest interval for a unique solution change?

Yes, the largest interval for a unique solution can change depending on the equation or conditions being evaluated. It may also change if there are changes in the values or variables involved.

4. What factors can affect the size of the interval for a unique solution?

The size of the interval for a unique solution can be affected by various factors such as the complexity of the equation or conditions, the number of variables involved, and any constraints or limitations within the problem. Changes in these factors can alter the size of the interval.

5. Why is it important to determine the largest interval for a unique solution?

Determining the largest interval for a unique solution is important because it gives us a better understanding of the behavior and properties of the equation or conditions being evaluated. It also helps us identify the most suitable range of values for the problem at hand, making it easier to find a solution that meets the given criteria.