Projectile calculations including air resistance and weight

In summary, a expert summarizer of content notes that there is a lack of precision in traditional distance calculations when weight is not taken into account. He is also working on including wind resistance into his calculations.
Zippy24
Hey guys, I have been working on some calculations to help me with sniping in airsoft. I am working figuring out the angle of inclination I would need to hit targets at different ranges being only a rough outline (I am not too worried about getting into the various calculations such as for air density, other effects such as the Coriolis effects and such.) I am aware of the standard calculations for distance of a projectile my problem with these is that they don't seem to take into consideration the weight of the object which does not seem to be very precise. I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar equation that took into consideration weight, velocity, angle and height of the object since theoretically those variables should be enough to accurately calculate the area in which the object would land. I am not too uptight about air resistance since I am sure a 6mm spherical bb should not have enough area to have its flight path significantly altered by the air resistance and I am going to work on including wind factors later. I know it is very possible that I am completely wrong and am sounding like a total idiot when it comes to this but please tell me if this is not possible. Thanks for the time guys.
Also a huge bonus would be if someone could give me the formula for the distance an object would drop per meter using the variables of its weight, gravity, velocity and air friction. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man, your not going to like that formula.

EDIT: Also, wind resistance is everything for a super light ball of plastic at high velocities.

Last edited:
Lol I know that, I have been working on it but I can not find any formulas for the viscous friction coefficient, the formula for rotational velocity and the formula for linear velocity. If anyone knows these could you let me know? I am using http://www.bbbastard.com/ATP/" as a basic guideline for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The presence of air resistance can significantly alter the trajectory of a projectile. As the projectile travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to the air molecules colliding with it. This force, known as drag, causes the projectile to slow down and deviate from its original path.

2. How do you calculate the effects of air resistance on a projectile?

To calculate the effects of air resistance on a projectile, you need to consider the projectile's velocity, cross-sectional area, and the density and viscosity of the air. These variables can be used to calculate the drag force using equations such as the drag equation or the Stokes' law equation.

3. What is the role of weight in projectile calculations?

The weight of a projectile plays a crucial role in its trajectory calculations. The force of gravity acting on the projectile, which is determined by its weight, affects its vertical motion. This force also influences the projectile's horizontal motion by decreasing its forward velocity due to the downward pull of gravity.

4. Can you ignore air resistance in projectile calculations?

No, air resistance should not be ignored in projectile calculations, as it can have a significant impact on the accuracy of the results. Ignoring air resistance can lead to underestimating the projectile's range and overestimating its time of flight. Therefore, it is essential to account for air resistance when making projectile calculations.

5. How do you account for air resistance in projectile motion experiments?

In projectile motion experiments, air resistance can be accounted for by using tools such as motion sensors, which can measure the projectile's velocity and acceleration. These measurements can then be used to calculate the drag force and incorporate it into the equations for projectile motion. Additionally, using projectiles with a streamlined shape can also help reduce the effects of air resistance in experiments.