A nail is placed inside an electromagnet, why do we feel a buzzing sensation?

In summary: When you said "inside", I assumed the electromagnet was C-shaped or similar, with a gap in the magnetic path. If it's just a bar, then yes, thre is no inside, just near the ends.
highbury1991

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because of resonance? Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
highbury1991 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because of resonance? Can someone please explain? Thanks!

It depends on the electromagnet. What causes the force of an electromagnet? What creates that force?

berkeman said:
It depends on the electromagnet. What causes the force of an electromagnet? What creates that force?

Hi thanks for your reply. I understand that the force is created by the magnetic field due to the current. However, the nail is this case is placed inside the electromagnet, I'm not sure why then there will be a buzzing (vibrating) feeling. Can you elaborate on that a bit more please? Thanks!

highbury1991 said:
Hi thanks for your reply. I understand that the force is created by the magnetic field due to the current. However, the nail is this case is placed inside the electromagnet, I'm not sure why then there will be a buzzing (vibrating) feeling. Can you elaborate on that a bit more please? Thanks!

Correct that the magnetic force comes from the current. What are the two options for that current?

berkeman said:
Correct that the magnetic force comes from the current. What are the two options for that current?

you mean that the current reverses direction? I can't really see why...

highbury1991 said:
you mean that the current reverses direction? I can't really see why...

What's the difference in the current in a flashlight bulb versus a lightbulb plugged into the wall socket?

berkeman said:
What's the difference in the current in a flashlight bulb versus a lightbulb plugged into the wall socket?

the former is dc and the latter ac. you mean the current changes direction inside the electromagnet? the current source I used was a dc one, though

highbury1991 said:
the former is dc and the latter ac. you mean the current changes direction inside the electromagnet? the current source I used was a dc one, though

The nail buzzed inside of a DC electromagnet? That's unexpected. Are you sure it was a good DC source, and not going into a pulsating current limit or something? AFAIK, a DC electromagnet should act just like a permanent magnet.

berkeman said:
The nail buzzed inside of a DC electromagnet? That's unexpected. Are you sure it was a good DC source, and not going into a pulsating current limit or something? AFAIK, a DC electromagnet should act just like a permanent magnet.

this is for sure that we're going to feel a buzzing sensation when a metal bar is placed inside an electromagnet, since this is what the question states. But the whole thing really confuses me. What is placed "inside" an electromagnet... the centre of the electromagnet is a solid iron bar, the best we can do is to place a nail near that electromagnet. But thanks anyway for your help.

highbury1991 said:
this is for sure that we're going to feel a buzzing sensation when a metal bar is placed inside an electromagnet, since this is what the question states. But the whole thing really confuses me. What is placed "inside" an electromagnet... the centre of the electromagnet is a solid iron bar, the best we can do is to place a nail near that electromagnet. But thanks anyway for your help.

When you said "inside", I assumed the electromagnet was C-shaped or similar, with a gap in the magnetic path. If it's just a bar, then yes, thre is no inside, just near the ends.

Update us after you try the experiment. If you do feel a buzzing, and the current source is supposedly DC, I'd suggest using a current meter or voltmeter to check that the current doesn't have an AC component for some reason.

1. Why does the nail feel a buzzing sensation when placed inside an electromagnet?

The buzzing sensation is caused by the rapid movement of the electrons in the nail. When the nail is placed inside the electromagnet, it becomes magnetized and the electrons in the nail start to vibrate and move rapidly. This movement creates an electromagnetic field which can be felt as a buzzing sensation.

2. How does an electromagnet work to create a buzzing sensation?

An electromagnet works by using electricity to create a magnetic field. When electricity flows through the coil of wire in the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field then attracts or repels the magnetic field of the nail, causing the buzzing sensation.

3. Does the strength of the buzzing sensation depend on the strength of the electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of the buzzing sensation is directly related to the strength of the electromagnet. The stronger the electromagnet, the stronger the magnetic field it creates, and the more intense the buzzing sensation will be.

4. Why does the buzzing sensation stop when the nail is removed from the electromagnet?

The buzzing sensation stops when the nail is removed from the electromagnet because the movement of the electrons in the nail stops. Without the presence of the magnetic field from the electromagnet, the electrons in the nail can return to their normal state and the buzzing sensation subsides.

5. Can the buzzing sensation be harmful to humans?

No, the buzzing sensation caused by an electromagnet is not harmful to humans. It is a temporary sensation caused by the movement of electrons, and does not pose any health risks.