What are the top products currently making headlines in the news and why?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Toyota recall does not concern Tsu and I at all. Tillamook Extra Sharp, White, Cheddar Cheese; aged two years+ is great for nachos. Dell Computers - can't beat the customer service. I can buy a computer with an extended warranty and forget about any problems for at least three years. Nutella is the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing of food. But mmmm so good.
Evo said:
:eek: Why did you have to remind me?
:biggrin: I wanted to be honest and up front for those that didn't know. Plus, I couldn't figure out how to include the term "pork crackling".

Physics news on Phys.org
Post it notes on pens and erasable pens. So much yes.

Once again I have to give a shout for Dell Computers Business Division. I don't know about the home user services. I've heard bad things about that. But I have used Dell for my business for about fifteen years now and once again they come through with flying colors. I always purchase their premium three-year warranty for about $300 when I buy a new computer. This covers all software and hardware issues so I can stay focused on making money.

Recently, something happened to my two year old computer. It must have taken a hard hit during transport or while onsite. I thought I had a virus because the computer was acting erratic. But it turned out that I had simultaneous hardware failures in my hard drive, keyboard, and mouse pad. However, this only became evident after the fact. After running a diagnostic that showed a definitive hard drive failure, they sent someone to my house to replace my hard drive. Then it became clear that I was having an additional intermittent problem with the keyboard. So he came back two days later and replaced my keyboard. Then it became clear that I was also having intermittent failures of my mouse pad. So they scheduled that but then discovered that the required part is no longer available.

So instead I got a brand new computer that is two models higher [the current release of the one I had originally purchased] and slightly superior to the one I had. I also got free upgrades to all of the latest Windows software, including the premium edition of Office. This was all free of charge.

I'm content with Dell for private computers. There are deficiencies, but they can't always be helped.

I like Mac too, except for the ugly way in which it renders the tau in Maltab axes labels.

I love my new computer! It's a fully loaded Precision M4800. This series has been my favorite. It almost made me sick when my 4600 was damaged because I had been so happy with it. It had been fast, reliable, and pretty much trouble free until that happened.

Cyanoacrylate, also known as Super Glue.

I use it every time I rip a fingernail into the quick - OUCH! It's the best treatment.

Ivan Seeking said:
I love my new computer! It's a fully loaded Precision M4800. This series has been my favorite. It almost made me sick when my 4600 was damaged because I had been so happy with it. It had been fast, reliable, and pretty much trouble free until that happened.
I prefer HP computers that don't fail. Ever. Don't have to rely on a paid warranty for help. Not to mention you're talking about business computers, not what the normal home user would experience.

Evo said:
I prefer HP computers that don't fail. Ever.

For light users you may be right. My computers take a beating.

Ivan Seeking said:
For light users you may be right. My computers take a beating.
I'm just teasing you because I know you love your dells. :tongue:

Dell keyboards stink, IMO, but my Dell PC is reliable.

I switched to Logitech wireless KB and mouse. They are not much better. I should have stockpiled IBM KBs when I was servicing business computers.

Evo said:
I prefer HP computers that don't fail. Ever. Don't have to rely on a paid warranty for help.

HP used to know how to bulid electronics that didn't fail, ever. We didn't used to think twice about moving $50,000 of HP vibration analysis kit(in a box about 6ft x 4ft x 3ft) around the site by just picking it op with a fork lift truck and driving down the road - and not bothering to steer around the potholes.

But we got totally shafted by their computer sales department (basically, recommending we buy a few hundred of an end-of-line product that they knew they were going to withdraw support for, as soon as they had shifted their remainng stock - and the reason they were abandoning the product was because it was so unreliable!)

After that saga, personally I would never, ever, buy anything with a HP logo on it.

turbo said:
Dell keyboards stink, IMO, but my Dell PC is reliable.

I switched to Logitech wireless KB and mouse. They are not much better. I should have stockpiled IBM KBs when I was servicing business computers.

I like logitech's wireless KBnM, personally. Haven't seen an IBM KB in a decade.

AlephZero said:
But we got totally shafted by their computer sales department (basically, recommending we buy a few hundred of an end-of-line product that they knew they were going to withdraw support for, as soon as they had shifted their remainng stock - and the reason they were abandoning the product was because it was so unreliable!)

After that saga, personally I would never, ever, buy anything with a HP logo on it.
Well, that was a group of snakes.

I've been using HP home computers for decades and the only reason to buy a new one was to upgrade (except the one I knocked off the desk onto the tile floor), it still worked, but the hard drive was loose after that, and sometimes I'd have to shake the computer, so decided it was old anyway and got the one I have now.

I've been using Dell computers, both at home (currently have a loaded Precision at home) and work, since the mid 90s. Never had a single failure of any kind, just upgrades for obsolescence. Have found Dell support excellent.

PAllen said:
I've been using Dell computers, both at home (currently have a loaded Precision at home) and work, since the mid 90s. Never had a single failure of any kind, just upgrades for obsolescence. Have found Dell support excellent.
Good to know, I just had to buy Evo Child a new school computer and got a great deal on a Dell. Hadn't really taken the brand into consideration due to the low price. I had always had top of the line Toshiba laptops when I worked at AT&T, those things were like sherman tanks, took a licking and kept on ticking. But $7k for a portege laptop was out of my price range back then, and they're still pricey, even though the price has come down.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Good to know, I just had to buy Evo Child a new school computer and got a great deal on a Dell. Hadn't really taken the brand into consideration due to the low price. I had always had top of the line Toshiba laptops when I worked at AT&T, those things were like sherman tanks, took a licking and kept on ticking. But $7k for a portege laptop was out of my price range back then, and they're still pricey, even though the price has come down.

Actually, my wife has a cheapo Toshiba laptop ($400), seems to be fine so far. However, for work, I've used only Dell Lattitudes, and they take lots of abuse and have always lasted until they are totally obsolete (5 - 6 years). They are heavy, and not very 'cool' looking, though.

I got a really good deal on my Precision because of phasing out Windows 7, which is what I wanted anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never owned a brand name computer since the Apple IIe. I've built all the rest from scratch. I like picking and choosing components. Yeah, you get a bad part once in awhile that way, but, that's never amounted to more than a nuisance.

collinsmark said:
I like Steam quite a bit. It's certainly changed the way I buy video games.

You may want to check good ol' games (www.gog.com). They don't offer many new titles, but what they do offer (and their prices) is worth recommendation. Plus - no strings attached.

GoG also tries to slip you nuisance programs. I assume its part of their business model. However, I do love some of the old games. Who could forget wizardry? I don't like steam, it's new age software protection.

<h2>What are the top products currently making headlines in the news and why?</h2><p>The top products currently making headlines in the news are typically those that are innovative, controversial, or have a significant impact on society. These products often capture the attention of the public and media due to their potential to disrupt industries, improve daily life, or spark debate.</p><h2>What makes a product newsworthy?</h2><p>A product is considered newsworthy if it has a unique or groundbreaking feature, addresses a current issue or trend, or has a significant impact on a large number of people. Products that are innovative, controversial, or have a strong human interest element are also more likely to make headlines.</p><h2>What are some examples of products that have recently made headlines?</h2><p>Some recent examples of products that have made headlines include the iPhone 12, which introduced 5G technology and sparked debates about privacy and security concerns; the Tesla Cybertruck, which garnered attention for its futuristic design and potential to revolutionize the automotive industry; and the Impossible Burger, a plant-based burger that has raised questions about the future of food production and sustainability.</p><h2>How do products impact society and the economy?</h2><p>Products can have a significant impact on society and the economy by creating jobs, influencing consumer behavior, and shaping cultural norms and values. They can also drive economic growth and contribute to technological advancements and societal progress.</p><h2>What role do scientists play in the development of new products?</h2><p>Scientists play a crucial role in the development of new products by conducting research, testing and refining ideas, and providing expertise in various fields such as technology, medicine, and engineering. Their contributions are essential in ensuring that products are safe, effective, and have a positive impact on society.</p>

What are the top products currently making headlines in the news and why?

The top products currently making headlines in the news are typically those that are innovative, controversial, or have a significant impact on society. These products often capture the attention of the public and media due to their potential to disrupt industries, improve daily life, or spark debate.

What makes a product newsworthy?

A product is considered newsworthy if it has a unique or groundbreaking feature, addresses a current issue or trend, or has a significant impact on a large number of people. Products that are innovative, controversial, or have a strong human interest element are also more likely to make headlines.

What are some examples of products that have recently made headlines?

Some recent examples of products that have made headlines include the iPhone 12, which introduced 5G technology and sparked debates about privacy and security concerns; the Tesla Cybertruck, which garnered attention for its futuristic design and potential to revolutionize the automotive industry; and the Impossible Burger, a plant-based burger that has raised questions about the future of food production and sustainability.

How do products impact society and the economy?

Products can have a significant impact on society and the economy by creating jobs, influencing consumer behavior, and shaping cultural norms and values. They can also drive economic growth and contribute to technological advancements and societal progress.

What role do scientists play in the development of new products?

Scientists play a crucial role in the development of new products by conducting research, testing and refining ideas, and providing expertise in various fields such as technology, medicine, and engineering. Their contributions are essential in ensuring that products are safe, effective, and have a positive impact on society.

Back