Heat transfer question(in brake system)

In summary: Yes, I am.holy cow..what kind of car you making that has 50 pound rotors per axle?way over board on unsprung weight..too much torque required to accelerate these...
apolo123
Anyone can tell me what is kinetics energy that needs to be convert into heat energy by the brake?( I mean can show me the formula or any journal)

Anyone know any relevant heat transfer formula needs to be applied in order to determine appropriate sizes and surface area for the brake in order to achieve the cooling required?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy in the car = 1/2 mass * velocity ^2 = 1/2 m v2

This gets turned into heat energy in the brakes and the brake disc heats up.
The energy in the brakes = mass of brake disc * specific heat capacity * temperature difference = mcT
You can use this to estimate what temperature the brakes reach.
The disc then cools by transferring the heat into the air.

The rate of cooling is proprtional to the area of the brake * the difference in temperature between the brake and the air.

Getting actual values is very difficult since it depends on details of the air flow around the brake.

mgb_phys said:
The kinetic energy in the car = 1/2 mass * velocity ^2 = 1/2 m v2

This gets turned into heat energy in the brakes and the brake disc heats up.
The energy in the brakes = mass of brake disc * specific heat capacity * temperature difference = mcT
You can use this to estimate what temperature the brakes reach.
The disc then cools by transferring the heat into the air.

The rate of cooling is proprtional to the area of the brake * the difference in temperature between the brake and the air.

Getting actual values is very difficult since it depends on details of the air flow around the brake.

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me more details about heat transfer formula needs to be applied to determine appropriate sizes and surface area for the brake to achieve the cooling required.

Homework? Your question is insufficiently defined. Once you define and parameterize the variables, the solution should be easier. Assume no air flow as your initial condition.

Chronos said:
Homework? Your question is insufficiently defined. Once you define and parameterize the variables, the solution should be easier. Assume no air flow as your initial condition.

Hmmm, i think i know what are you trying to tell me. I will try first before i asking next question. Actually it is a project. My title is about brake system. So, i need the formula for kinetic energy convert to heat energy.

PS: Let say i have a sizes/surface area for the brake, can i calculate the heat?(assume the air temperature is 30)Need calculate the speed first?

apolo123 said:
Anyone can tell me what is kinetics energy that needs to be convert into heat energy by the brake?( I mean can show me the formula or any journal)

Anyone know any relevant heat transfer formula needs to be applied in order to determine appropriate sizes and surface area for the brake in order to achieve the cooling required?

Take a look in:

Standard Handbook of Engineering Calculations by Tyler G. Hicks.

CS

urgent!

I have car weight 3500 lb, rotor weight 200 lb, initial speed 50 mph, slowdown speed 0 mph
calculate the average temperature?
who know the formula?

apolo123 said:
urgent!

I have car weight 3500 lb, rotor weight 200 lb, initial speed 50 mph, slowdown speed 0 mph
calculate the average temperature?
who know the formula?

Are you still trying to find the required surface area as in your original post?

CS

stewartcs said:
Are you still trying to find the required surface area as in your original post?

CS

Yes, I am.

holy cow..what kind of car you making that has 50 pound rotors per axle?
way over board on unsprung weight..too much torque required to accelerate these...
i hope this isn't a car designed for max fuel mileage cause it ain't going to make it!

1. How does heat transfer affect the braking system?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in the braking system as it helps dissipate the heat generated during braking. When a car's brakes are applied, friction between the brake pads and rotors produces heat, which can affect the braking performance. Heat transfer allows this heat to be dissipated to the surrounding air, preventing overheating and potential brake failure.

2. What factors influence heat transfer in the braking system?

The main factors that influence heat transfer in the braking system are the speed of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, and the intensity and duration of braking. The higher the speed and weight of the vehicle, the more heat will be generated, and the longer and more intense the braking, the more heat will need to be dissipated.

3. How does the material of the brake pads affect heat transfer?

The material of the brake pads can significantly impact heat transfer in the braking system. Organic brake pads tend to have lower heat transfer capabilities, while semi-metallic and ceramic brake pads have higher heat transfer capabilities. Therefore, using the appropriate brake pad material can help improve the heat dissipation and overall braking performance.

4. What happens if the brake system overheats?

If the brake system overheats, it can lead to reduced braking effectiveness and potential brake failure. Overheating can cause damage to the brake pads, rotors, and calipers, and can also result in brake fade, where the brakes become less effective due to the high temperature. In extreme cases, overheating can lead to brake fluid boiling, which can cause complete brake failure.

5. How can heat transfer be improved in the braking system?

To improve heat transfer in the braking system, proper maintenance and regular inspections are essential. This includes replacing worn brake pads and ensuring the brake fluid is at the appropriate level. Upgrading to high-performance brake pads and rotors can also improve heat transfer. Additionally, allowing for cool-down periods during long or intense braking can help dissipate excess heat and prevent overheating.