Intrinsic fermi energy of silicon

In summary, the Fermi energy is in the middle of the band gap for intrinsic silicon. If the silicon is doped, the Fermi energy moves either towards the conduction or valence band, depending on the type of dopant.
kylie14
I've tried to look this up online, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm just looking for the intrinsic fermi energy of silicon E_i ?
Can someone maybe direct me towards a website where I could look it up? Either that, or is there a way to calculate it from the energy gap for intrinsic silicon (1.12eV)? I also know the intrinsic carrier concentration n_i (1.5 x10^10 cm^3).
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Si is undoped (i.e. intrinsic), the Fermi energy is in the middle of the band gap. Then the concentration of electrons and holes is equal. Doping the Si moves the Fermi energy toward either the conduction or valence band, depending on the type of dopant,

Yes, but how to I find out where the what the energy is at the centre of the band gap?
Thanks for your reply

I don't understand your question. What more do you need to know besides, "in the center of the band gap". There is no absolute reference for potential energy, so the value of the energy relative to the band edges is all you ever need to know.

I needed it because it appeared in an equation I needed to find how far the fermi energy is below the conduction band in n-type silicon.
I've just found another equation though, and you're right. I can find the distance between E_f and E_i, using
E_f - E_i = kT ln(n/n_i)
and then if E_i is in the middle of the band gap then that tells me how far E_f is below the conduction band edge.
Sorry, I'm with it now, thanks for your help.

Ei is in the middle of the band gap. Since the band gap is 1.12 eV wide, as you said, Ei is 0.56 eV below the conduction band edge (and also 0.56eV above the valence band edge). Suppose you have n = 1E18, and ni = 1.5E10. Then the Fermi level at room temperature is kT log(n/ni) = 0.46 eV above Ei, which puts it 0.10 eV below the conduction band edge. Does this do it?

Yes, I think that's it. Thanks again!

Please help :
Need expression that relates Ei and Eg both intrinsic and extrinsic case

1. What is the intrinsic fermi energy of silicon?

The intrinsic fermi energy of silicon is the energy level at which the probability of finding an electron is 50% at absolute zero temperature. It is a characteristic energy level of silicon that determines its electrical and thermal properties.

2. How is the intrinsic fermi energy of silicon determined?

The intrinsic fermi energy of silicon can be calculated using the density of states and the fermi function, which relates the energy of a system to the probability of occupation of each energy level. It can also be measured experimentally using techniques such as capacitance-voltage measurements.

3. What factors affect the intrinsic fermi energy of silicon?

The intrinsic fermi energy of silicon is influenced by the temperature, doping concentration, and crystal structure of the material. It also varies with the bandgap of silicon, as well as the presence of impurities and defects in the crystal lattice.

4. What is the significance of the intrinsic fermi energy of silicon?

The intrinsic fermi energy of silicon plays a crucial role in determining the electrical and thermal properties of the material. It affects the number of charge carriers and their mobility, which in turn affects the conductivity and resistivity of silicon. It is also used to calculate the fermi level and bandgap of silicon.

5. How does the intrinsic fermi energy of silicon differ from extrinsic fermi energy?

The intrinsic fermi energy of silicon is the energy level at which the material is in its pure, undoped state, while the extrinsic fermi energy is the energy level in a doped material. The extrinsic fermi energy is shifted towards the conduction band in n-type doped silicon and towards the valence band in p-type doped silicon due to the introduction of impurities, resulting in different electrical and thermal properties.