How to enter a field?

• Thread starter ismaili
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, a research assistant is struggling to understand his boss's subject of theoretical high energy physics. The assistant is having trouble comprehending the technical details in the papers and is worried about his ability to work in this field. He is seeking advice on how to effectively read and understand papers from others who have experience working with their bosses.
ismaili
Dear all,

I'm asking a stupid question, but it puzzled me a lot.
Recently, I am wondering about "how to enter a field or subject?"

I am a research assistant now and I'm trying to read papers of my boss's subject.
He is a theoretical string theorist.
I found I was stuck at various technical part of each paper.
I'm eagerly to catch up with the progress of his research,
but when I read papers, I often can't derive equations of that paper.

To complete the omitted technical details of a paper seems to be a basic ability.
I am starting to worrying about if I'm appropriate to do theoretical high energy physics.
To be honest, I have no experience in research.
Now, I'm really depressed by a lot of stuff and equations suddenly bomb.

So, I want to know how you guys work with your boss?
How you guys "read a paper?"
Thank you so much!

Sincerely

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the relationship between you and your boss? Is he willing to answer your questions?

1. How do I know which field to enter?

Choosing a field to enter can be a difficult decision. Start by exploring your interests and strengths. Consider what subjects you excel in and what topics you are passionate about. Research various fields and their job prospects to find one that aligns with your skills and interests.

2. What education is required to enter a field?

The education requirements for a specific field can vary, but most require at least a bachelor's degree. Some fields may require a higher level of education, such as a master's or doctoral degree. It's important to research the specific education requirements for the field you are interested in.

3. How do I gain experience in a field?

Gaining experience in a field can be done through internships, volunteer opportunities, or part-time jobs. Look for opportunities that align with your desired field and reach out to professionals for mentorship or job shadowing opportunities. Networking events and conferences are also great ways to gain experience and make connections in a field.

4. What skills are needed to enter a field?

The specific skills needed to enter a field can vary, but some common skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and technical skills. It's important to research the skills required for the field you are interested in and work on developing those skills through education, experience, and training.

5. How do I stay current in a field?

To stay current in a field, it's important to continue learning and staying up-to-date with industry trends and advancements. This can be done through attending conferences, workshops, and webinars, as well as reading industry publications and networking with other professionals in the field.