Question about Joule-Thomson effect and Gulf blowout

• Thread starter marzolian
  • Start date
In summary, the blogger is suggesting that the methane released from the BP blowout is cold enough to freeze seawater. However, this is an isenthalpic expansion and the temperature of the methane before it mixes with the seawater is unknown.
marzolian
A friend who never studied engineering but is very curious sent me a blog entry, claiming that the methane being discharged from the BP blowout was cold enough to freeze seawater. I think someone is confusing water freezing with hydrate formation.

But I started wondering: What approach would you follow if you wanted to see how cold the methane would get, if it was flowing through an orifice and allowed to expand?

This does not represent a practical approach to solving that or any other real-life problem. But assume the following:

1. Homogeneous flow (methane only, no oil or other gases).

2. All pressure drop occurs at the wellhead. Ignore the resistance inside the well.

3. The pressure upstream of the restriction is the same as the downhole formation pressure, possibly 16,000 psi.

4. Initial downhole gas temperature is probably between 300 and 400 degrees F, assume 350 when it reaches the wellhead.

5. The methane flows adiabatically through the wellhead, and expands to the water pressure (approximately 2200 psi). (This is a significant assumption, because the pressure at the bottom of the riser / top of BOP stack is undoubtedly higher)

What would be the temperature of the methane, before it mixes with the seawater?

I know that Joule-Thomson is involved, but bear with me, it's been 25 years since I studied this subject and I haven't worked with it since then.

Can anyone give a back-of-the-envelope answer?

Steve Marzuola
Houston, Texas

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was wondering if it would get very cold myself. It's an isenthalpic expansion. But without knowing what the state is upstream and the exact composition (ie: how much methane and other gasses), you'd be guessing at what the outlet temperature would be.
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=272221&page=1

Don't forget that at 5000 foot depths you'd have a significant change in expansion rate as well. I officially deem this problem unsolvable by us mere mortals.

I will consult Google calculator.

1. What is the Joule-Thomson effect?

The Joule-Thomson effect is a phenomenon in thermodynamics where a gas experiences a temperature change when it is allowed to expand or contract without doing any external work. This effect is caused by the interaction between intermolecular forces and molecular kinetic energy.

2. How does the Joule-Thomson effect relate to the Gulf blowout?

In the Gulf blowout, the Joule-Thomson effect played a role in the formation of methane hydrate crystals, which clogged the blowout preventer and contributed to the uncontrolled release of oil and gas. This occurred because the high pressure and low temperature conditions at the bottom of the Gulf caused the released gas to cool and expand rapidly, leading to the formation of the hydrate crystals.

3. Can the Joule-Thomson effect be controlled or prevented?

The Joule-Thomson effect is a natural phenomenon and cannot be prevented. However, it can be controlled by carefully monitoring and managing the pressure and temperature conditions in industrial processes, such as in the production and transportation of natural gas.

4. Is the Joule-Thomson effect dangerous?

The Joule-Thomson effect itself is not dangerous, but it can have dangerous consequences if not properly managed. In the Gulf blowout, the formation of methane hydrate crystals due to the Joule-Thomson effect caused significant environmental and economic damage.

5. How can the Joule-Thomson effect be utilized in other industries?

The Joule-Thomson effect is used in many industries, such as natural gas production and refrigeration. It can also be utilized in processes that require precise temperature control, such as in chemical reactions and cryogenics. Additionally, the Joule-Thomson effect can be harnessed to generate electricity in some power plants.