What is the ascension rate of a gas balloon without air friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ascension rate of a gas balloon, taking into account factors such as air friction and ground air density. The shape and dimensions of the balloon are also mentioned. The speaker emphasizes the importance of using accurate measurements and disregarding unnecessary digits.
Imustthink
I have calculated that my gas balloon's ascension rate is 13.49031149 m/s^2 WITHOUT air friction.

Ignore wind and let's say ground air density is 1.2 kg/m^3 at 20 °C.
The shape of the balloon will be a cylinder with rounded ends. The top end will have a 4 meter diameter so the area of that is 12.5663706 m^2. The length or height will be 14.2916666 m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the question?

From an other thread, Imustthink wants to know how the rate of climb of his balloon is effected, from release, by including air drag. In essence, you release his inflated, or partially inflated balloon (he hasn't said which) ,and release it, how is its altitude a function of time?

Phrak is correct and the balloon is Inflated.

How do I find the ascension rate of a gas balloon when you factor in air drag?

Its inflated Not partially inflated from release.

I have calculated that my gas balloon's ascension rate is 13.49031149 m/s^2 from initial release WITHOUT air drag.

The shape of the balloon will be a cylinder with rounded ends. The top end will have a 4 meter diameter so the area of that is 12.5663706 m^2. The length or height will be 14.2916666 m.

(two threads merged)

Imustthink said:
I have calculated that my gas balloon's ascension rate is 13.49031149 m/s^2 WITHOUT air friction.

Please learn some respect for measurements your post should read:

"I have calculated that my gas balloon's ascension rate is 13.5 m/s^2 WITHOUT air friction.
The shape of the balloon will be a cylinder with rounded ends. The top end will have a 4 meter diameter so the area of that is 12.6 m^2. The length or height will be 14.3 m"

There is no way in the universe to measure the quantities concerned to accuracy you claim with all those useless digits. Please in future ignore all but the first 3 or 4 digits produced by your calculator, the rest are just noise and have no meaning.

1. What factors affect the ascension rate of a balloon?

The ascension rate of a balloon is primarily affected by its size, weight, and the amount of gas or helium it contains. Other factors such as temperature, air pressure, and wind speed can also play a role in the balloon's ascension rate.

2. How does the weight of the payload affect the ascension rate of a balloon?

The weight of the payload attached to a balloon can greatly impact its ascension rate. A heavier payload will require more gas or helium to lift it, resulting in a slower ascension rate. It is important to carefully consider the weight of the payload when planning a balloon launch.

3. Can the type of gas or helium used affect the ascension rate of a balloon?

Yes, the type of gas or helium used can impact the ascension rate of a balloon. Helium is the most commonly used gas for balloon flights, as it is lighter than air and provides a steady and predictable ascension rate. However, other gases such as hydrogen can result in a faster ascension rate due to its lower density.

4. Is there a maximum ascension rate that a balloon can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum ascension rate for a balloon, which is determined by the size and weight of the balloon, as well as atmospheric conditions. If the balloon ascends too quickly, it may burst due to the decrease in air pressure at higher altitudes. It is important to carefully calculate the ascension rate to ensure a successful and safe flight.

5. How can the ascension rate of a balloon be measured?

The ascension rate of a balloon can be measured using a variety of methods, such as GPS tracking, radar tracking, or by attaching a small weather balloon to the main balloon. Additionally, the duration of the flight and the altitude reached can also provide information about the balloon's ascension rate.