Comparing Dummies and Idiots Books for Learning

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "Dummies" and "Idiot's Guides" books for learning various subjects. The participants express their preferences and opinions on the quality and effectiveness of these books, with some finding them helpful for beginners and others using them as a starting point for more advanced learning. They also mention the variety of topics covered by these books and their usefulness in providing a basic understanding before delving into more complex material. One participant notes that they have had good results with "Dummies" books for simple tech topics, while another mentions using "Idiot's Guides" for math and other sciences. The conversation ends with a mention of using these books for learning about investing, with mixed results. Overall, the participants seem
Dagenais
When learning or just reading about Science, Mathematics or other subjects do you ever read Dummies or Idiots?

Or do you prefer reading other texts?

For computers I usually enjoy books not from Idiots or Dummies since they don't cover as much, and for learning programming I usually find free tutorials on the internet.

For Math, I use Dummies and separate books.

For other sciences I like using Dummies and Idiot's Guides.

How about you? Do you like the quality of the two?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had good results with for Dummies books on simple tech stuff. My learning style requires I get a context before I can start scarfing down info, and I find that the Dummies series gives me that context.

Both are great in my opinion. I have a calculus for idiots book and it's a very easy read and explains a lot in easy terms. I also have investing and college planning for dummies which has been very informational.

I've always found dummies books to be a good beginner's text for more complexed subjects, or when I need the basics on something and don't feel like purchasing a 5 volume set. And nowadays, think of any topic, and chances are there's a dummy/idiot book to accompany it.

Which reminds me.. investing for dummies.. hmmmm

One of the suggestions made to writers doing research is that they begin with children's reference books and then get more indepth from there. The dummies and idiots guides, although not children's books, are also a great starting point.

I think that the dummies and idiots guides are a great starting point for technical subjects. I usually get one that matches my operating system on my computer, then I might get a more indepth volume at a later date. I also have one for computer repair, which has led me on to more advanced books such as A+ certification books. Often as not, the idiots guide has the moe useful information.

Which reminds me.. investing for dummies.. hmmmm

Haha, true it hasn't made me a penny, but it was a great introduction on how all the different types of investing works and some general tips.

I haven't used Dummies, but I have used two Idiots Guides and I like them a lot, they are great books.

Often as not, the idiots guide has the moe useful information.

I usually find Idiot's Guide to be more in depth and longer than Dummies. They lack the variety of topics though.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Haha, true it hasn't made me a penny, but it was a great introduction on how all the different types of investing works and some general tips.

Well I'm pretty cluless when it comes to investing- someone recommended doing "options" so I need to read up on that.

1. How do dummies and idiots books differ in their approach to learning?

Dummies books are designed for beginners and provide a step-by-step approach to learning a particular topic. Idiots books, on the other hand, assume some prior knowledge and dive deeper into the subject matter.

2. Are dummies and idiots books equally effective for learning?

It depends on the individual's learning style and the subject matter. Some people may find the simplified approach of dummies books more helpful, while others may prefer the more advanced and in-depth explanations of idiots books.

3. Can dummies and idiots books be used interchangeably for learning?

No, dummies and idiots books are designed for different levels of understanding and cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to choose the appropriate level for your current knowledge and understanding.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using dummies or idiots books for learning?

One potential disadvantage is that these books may oversimplify complex topics or assume too much prior knowledge, making it difficult for some individuals to understand the material. Additionally, they may not cover all aspects of a subject in depth.

5. Can dummies and idiots books be used as the sole source of learning?

It is not recommended to rely solely on dummies or idiots books for learning. These books are meant to supplement other learning materials and should not be the only source of information. It is important to seek out additional resources and engage in hands-on learning to fully understand a topic.