Quantum Mechanics Operators, Hermitian and Eigenvalues

In summary, the parity operator, \Pi(hat), acts on a function f(x) by flipping its argument, f(-x). The set of all even functions, {en(x)}, are degenerate eigenfunctions of \Pi(hat) with a degenerate eigenvalue of +1. Similarly, the set of all odd functions, {On(x)}, are also degenerate eigenfunctions of \Pi(hat) but with a different degenerate eigenvalue of -1. The parity operator is a hermitian operator, meaning its eigenvalues are real. This implies that the eigenfunctions corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal, as shown by the integration result of the product of two different eigenfunctions being equal to 0. Additionally
TtotheBo

a) The action of the parity operator, [tex]\Pi[/tex](hat), is defined as follows:

[tex]\Pi[/tex](hat) f(x) = f(-x)

i) Show that the set of all even functions, {en(x)}, are degenerate eigenfunctions of the parity operator. What is their degenerate eigenvalue? The same is true for the set of all odd functions, {On(x)}, but their degenerate eigenvalue is different from that of the even eigenfunctions, what is it?

ii) Show that the parity operator is a hermitian operator

iii) We know that eigenfunctions of a hermitian operator whose eigenvalues are different are orthogonal. What important integration result does this imply for the functions you consider in part i) above?

b) Suppose f(x) and g(x) are two degenerate eigenfunctions of an operator Q(hat) that have the same eigenvalue, q. Show that any linear combination of f(x) and g(x) is itself an eigenfunction of Q(hat) with eigenvalue, q.

Homework Equations

Nothing out of the ordinary.
See attempt at a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I suck at QM

I know Hermitian Operators have real eigenvalues

I know Eigenfunctions corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal
Integral of qn(x)qm(x) dx = 0

I think know that to prove it's Hermitian in part ii), I need to get the LHS equal to the RHS beginning with:

The Integral of [tex]\Phi[/tex]* ([tex]\Pi[/tex](hat)) [tex]\Psi[/tex] dx
=
(The Integral of [tex]\Psi[/tex]* ([tex]\Pi[/tex](hat)) [tex]\Phi[/tex] dx)*I know that degenerate means En = Em
No clue where to even begin though.

I'm not sure at all where to begin with this question.. Perhaps somebody could give me a push in the right direction? Even the smallest hints as to where to begin would be fantastic. Then I can try myself and come back later with more questions if needs be.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
i) In this case, don't think of degenerate "energies," think about degenerate eigenvalues. Energy is an eigenvalue of the hamiltonian operator, not the parity operator.

ii) Your definition of hermitian would be wrong is you did this. Review hermitian operators again.

iii) I don't know how to hint this without giving it away. The question basically already gives away the answer.

b) Give it a try.

What is the role of operators in Quantum Mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are mathematical objects that represent physical quantities such as position, momentum, and energy. They act on quantum states to produce new states and are essential in calculating measurable quantities in quantum systems.

What does it mean for an operator to be Hermitian?

An operator is Hermitian if it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the operator and its adjoint are the same. This property is important in quantum mechanics because Hermitian operators correspond to physical observables, and their eigenvalues are always real.

How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors related to operators in Quantum Mechanics?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related to operators in quantum mechanics. The eigenvalues of an operator represent the possible outcomes of a measurement when the operator is applied to a quantum state. The eigenvectors of an operator represent the states that will not change when the operator is applied.

What is the significance of the uncertainty principle in Quantum Mechanics?

The uncertainty principle, formulated by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, simultaneously. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has implications for the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

How do operators and eigenvalues contribute to the Schrödinger equation in Quantum Mechanics?

The Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, describes how the state of a quantum system evolves over time. Operators and eigenvalues are used in the Schrödinger equation to represent physical quantities and their corresponding values in a quantum system. This equation allows for the calculation of the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time.