Exploring Future Research Areas in Theoretical Physics: A Student's Dilemma

In summary, the individual is in 5th year and plans to pursue a career in theoretical physics. They are concerned about the future availability of research opportunities in areas other than quantum physics and the difference between a degree in theoretical physics and astrophysics. However, the expert reassures them that research in other areas will still be happening in the future and that the distinction between theoretical and regular physics is minimal at the undergraduate level. They also advise the individual to not worry too much about their career path at this time and to focus on building a diverse skillset in university.
Darth Frodo
Hey guys I just signed up, I would like to say that this is a great site.

Firstly I am in 5th year. I am unaware of the US equivilant but I just have 5th and 6th year to complete before college.

I am worried. I wish to do theoretical physics in university. I wish to get a doctorate and become a professor and do research.

The problem is I am much more interested in general relativity as oppose to quantum theory. While I still find quantum theiry interesting I am wondering in 10 years time, will the only research available be in the Quantum area? And would a Bachalor degree in theoretical physics be more benificial then a degree in astrophysics

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's safe to say that research in areas besides quantum physics will still be happening in 10 years.

And would a Bachalor degree in theoretical physics be more benificial then a degree in astrophysics

How does a bachelor's degree in "theoretical physics" differ from a degree in "normal physics" ? Most US institutions don't distinguish.

Darth Frodo said:
Hey guys I just signed up, I would like to say that this is a great site.

Welcome!

Darth Frodo said:
Firstly I am in 5th year. I am unaware of the US equivilant but I just have 5th and 6th year to complete before college.

As in, UK high school?

Darth Frodo said:
I am worried. I wish to do theoretical physics in university. I wish to get a doctorate and become a professor and do research.

Right. Firstly, theoretical physics is a bit of a misnomer at undergraduate level. In a theoretical physics degree you'll do the same physics as a regular physics degree. Everything is basic at undergraduate level - it takes more than the full 4/5 years to get yourself a basic understanding in the lots of areas of physics that you'll cover - there is no time to make the distinction between theoretical and experimental (as far as research goes) - everyone has to do the same basics. The difference in a degree called 'theoretical physics' (and I have seen many of these spring up across the UK) is normally just that you'll drop a lab class or two, maybe a couple of lecture courses in physics and trade them up for standard maths courses. That is all. Also, it's great to plan ahead, but don't worry too much about your career path quite yet. It's great to plan, but bad to blindly stick to a plan. Just because you think you want to be an academic later in life doesn't mean you should ignore paths/opportunities that would be useful for other career paths. University is about building up your skillset - get as many skills as possible, whether they are useful for academia or not.

Darth Frodo said:
The problem is I am much more interested in general relativity as oppose to quantum theory. While I still find quantum theiry interesting I am wondering in 10 years time, will the only research available be in the Quantum area?

Why is that a problem..? The next point is that: you're still in high school. You won't have any of the machinery or tools to properly understand anything about general relativity or quantum mechanics. In all likelihood, the way that you think about these subjects will be from a romanticised popular science point of view which actually isn't all that useful. This means that quantum mechanics and general relativity probably aren't the subjects you think of them as. Sure, you'll have an idea that GR applies to big, massive and fast things, and QM is of the small, but other than that..

Next: don't worry about it. You haven't started studying physics properly yet: if you stick it out, finish a degree and fall in love with a part of physics it will likely be something you have barely even heard of just now, much less understand. Physics isn't as cut-and-dry as being GR or QM, no-one will feel the need to make the distinction of which one you "like the best". They are simply tools that can be applied to your true topic of interest. Related point: QM is done, it's an old theory (don't, however, mistake old to mean out-of-use) and I would have no qualms with now labelling it classical physics. It isn't being researched - it is, however, used in research.

Darth Frodo said:
And would a Bachalor degree in theoretical physics be more benificial then a degree in astrophysics

In terms of how you present yourself/skills you learn generally, there isn't really a difference. In astrophysics (or astronomy) you'll learn physics in different scenarios than you would otherwise. If you're interested in looking at astronomy type subject matter, have a look at curriculum and see what you think. I studied physics & astronomy and loved it.

fss said:
How does a bachelor's degree in "theoretical physics" differ from a degree in "normal physics" ? Most US institutions don't distinguish.

It's really just presented as a buzzword to attract people. Theoretical physics undergraduates here will normally drop a lab class or two, maybe a lecture course or two and replace it with standard math courses (that students taking a maths degree will have, so the math courses aren't even necessarily aimed towards physicists).

Darth Frodo said:

It looks as though all three offer astronomy courses to an extent, cosmology being a common factor. I think any of those would do well: just remember that a huge part of whether or not you'll be successful at university depends on more than just the course you're taking. As well as looking closely at the courses themselves, you should examine carefully whether or not you think you'll like living, traveling and generally being in each of the locales. Look at your hobbies, check and see if any of the universities are conducive to certain things you like to do outside of work.

Darth Frodo said:

The bad news is that you probably won't end up to be a professor. The good news is that there are a lot of other paths.

The problem is I am much more interested in general relativity as oppose to quantum theory. While I still find quantum theiry interesting I am wondering in 10 years time, will the only research available be in the Quantum area? And would a Bachalor degree in theoretical physics be more benificial then a degree in astrophysics

Don't try to plan things out right now. Go to college and figure out what you like best there.

1. What are some emerging fields of research?

Some emerging fields of research include artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, renewable energy, biotechnology, and gene editing.

2. What are the potential benefits of future research areas?

The potential benefits of future research areas include advancements in technology, improved understanding of complex systems, new medical treatments and cures, and solutions to global challenges such as climate change and food scarcity.

3. How are future research areas determined?

Future research areas are determined through a combination of scientific discovery, technological advancements, societal needs and demands, and funding opportunities.

4. What role do interdisciplinary collaborations play in future research areas?

Interdisciplinary collaborations play a crucial role in future research areas as they allow for a diverse range of perspectives and expertise to be applied to complex problems and lead to innovative solutions.

5. How can individuals contribute to future research areas?

Individuals can contribute to future research areas by staying informed about current research, supporting and advocating for scientific funding, and pursuing careers in STEM fields to actively participate in research and innovation.