Building Crystal Oscillator for Highest Amp Output Underwater

In summary, the person is trying to create a system that will produce a constant sine wave, frequency of somewhere between 420 – 440 hertz under water with the greatest amount of amp output possible. They had the idea of building a large crystal oscillator in the shape of a tuning fork and applying a small amount of electricity (like is used in quartz clocks) to create an electronic oscillator. They want to create the highest amount of amps possible at this frequency. They are not trying to break the water molecules, just really excite them. They would use a power amplifier to step up the signal the get from the signal generator. What is the purpose of doing this? Powerful ultrasound can be a bit of a safety hazard. They
ProjectFringe
I am trying to build something but I’m too stupid to understand this stuff so I need some help.

Basically I am trying to create a system that will produce a constant sine wave, frequency of somewhere between 420 – 440 hertz under water with the greatest amount of amp output possible.

I had the idea of building a large crystal oscillator in the shape of a tuning fork and applying a small amount of electricity (like is used in quartz clocks) to create an electronic oscillator. I want to create the highest amount of amps possible at this frequency.

Would the frequency of the crystal lower as the size of the crystal tuning fork increased?

The fundamental frequency I may be trying to reach is 42KHz, which is the resonate frequency of water. Basically I want to get the most effect in a large amount of water, so I was thinking that lowering the frequency to a harmonic of the fundamental frequency (maybe 420 hertz or 42 hertz) would allow me to increase the size of the crystal and therefore increase the amp output. I am not trying to break the water molecules, I just want to really excite them.

Would this best be accomplished by creating one huge crystal or multiple medium sized crystals?

What kind of electrical system would I need to use to set this whole thing up?

Could a magnetic amp be used in someway to increase the amp output?

This is a serious question. Any help would be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ProjectFringe said:
I am trying to build something but I’m too stupid to understand this stuff so I need some help.

Basically I am trying to create a system that will produce a constant sine wave, frequency of somewhere between 420 – 440 hertz under water with the greatest amount of amp output possible.

I had the idea of building a large crystal oscillator in the shape of a tuning fork and applying a small amount of electricity (like is used in quartz clocks) to create an electronic oscillator. I want to create the highest amount of amps possible at this frequency.

Would the frequency of the crystal lower as the size of the crystal tuning fork increased?

The fundamental frequency I may be trying to reach is 42KHz, which is the resonate frequency of water. Basically I want to get the most effect in a large amount of water, so I was thinking that lowering the frequency to a harmonic of the fundamental frequency (maybe 420 hertz or 42 hertz) would allow me to increase the size of the crystal and therefore increase the amp output. I am not trying to break the water molecules, I just want to really excite them.

Would this best be accomplished by creating one huge crystal or multiple medium sized crystals?

What kind of electrical system would I need to use to set this whole thing up?

Could a magnetic amp be used in someway to increase the amp output?

This is a serious question. Any help would be much appreciated!

First, harmonics of a frequency are at higher frequencies than the fundamental frequency. So 42Hz and 420Hz are not harmonics of 42kHz.

Second, the easiest way to make sine waves at 420Hz or 42kHz is with a simple signal generator. Simple ones that work up to about 1MHz are quite inexpensive and easy to use. If you prefer to build your own, you can buy just the signal generator chip, and build the supporting circuitry around it (not much else is needed).

Then you would use a power amplifier to step up the signal that you get from the signal generator. If it's in the audio range, just use an audio power amplifier like from a stereo system. If it's at 42kHz, it will need to be a variation of an audio power amplifier.

What is the purpose of doing this? Powerful ultrasound can be a bit of a safety hazard. What are you going to be driving this ultrasound into?

Last edited:
Well I made a video showing the basics of what I am trying to do:

You can read in the description how I did it but I used 44 htz.

I want to recreate this same effect but on a really large scale not using really modern technology if possible. I thought about using a really big sub but I don't think it would have enough power so I thought maybe multiple tuning forks like this one but maybe bigger would be a better way to go:
http://www.crystalsingingbowls.com/...ode=MEDTUN&Category_Code=4AATUN&Store_Code=CT

I have to put the whole thing under water as well so that is another reason I thought a crystal would work better to create the frequency. I know you can make crystal resonate with a small amount of electricity.

And you can see from this other video here (not mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nu81oSwrbg&feature=related
When you place a tuning fork in water it creates a similar effect.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a crystal oscillator work?

A crystal oscillator is a device that generates an electrical signal at a precise frequency. It consists of a crystal, typically made of quartz, which vibrates at a specific frequency when an electric field is applied to it. This vibration is then converted into an electrical signal that can be used to power other electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of building a crystal oscillator for use underwater?

Building a crystal oscillator for underwater use allows for the generation of a stable and reliable electrical signal in an underwater environment. This can be useful for various applications such as underwater communication, navigation, and sensing.

3. How can I achieve the highest amp output with a crystal oscillator underwater?

To achieve the highest amp output with a crystal oscillator underwater, it is important to choose a high-quality crystal and design the circuit to minimize losses. This can include using low-resistance components and optimizing the power supply for maximum efficiency.

4. What are the challenges of building a crystal oscillator for underwater use?

One of the main challenges of building a crystal oscillator for underwater use is dealing with the harsh environment. Underwater conditions can include high pressure, temperature variations, and corrosive saltwater, all of which can affect the performance of the oscillator. Additionally, water can also absorb and attenuate the electrical signal, making it more difficult to achieve high amp output.

5. Can a crystal oscillator be used for deep-sea applications?

Yes, a crystal oscillator can be used for deep-sea applications. However, the design and construction must be specifically tailored to withstand the extreme conditions found in deep-sea environments. This may include using specialized materials and components that can withstand high pressures and temperatures, as well as implementing advanced circuit designs for improved performance.