Bryce DeWitt: Physicist & UT Austin Professor Dies at 81

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, Bryce Seligman DeWitt, a renowned physicist and professor at the University of Texas of Austin, passed away at the age of 81 on September 23, 2004 due to pancreatic cancer. He is best known for his work on the DeWitt equation, which is considered the gold standard in efforts to quantize General Relativity. The equation was co-created with his friend and colleague, John Wheeler, at the Raleigh-Durham airport in North Carolina during a layover. Although Wheeler often credited DeWitt as the primary contributor, it is commonly referred to as the DeWitt-Wheeler equation. This collaboration took place in the 1960s.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Bryce Seligman DeWitt, Jane and Roland Blumberg Professor in Physics,
Emeritus, at the University of Texas of Austin, died of pancreatic cancer
on September 23, 2004. He was 81.

Physics news on Phys.org
A great loss. The DeWitt equation remains the gold standard in efforts to quantize GR.

selfAdjoint said:
A great loss. The DeWitt equation remains the gold standard in efforts to quantize GR.

You may know this story and where to find it on the web. I don't have a link at the moment:

the Wheeler-DeWitt equation (the "quantum Einstein equation" to which I think you are referring) was invented at the Raleigh-Durham airport in North Carolina, where John Wheeler had to spend some time waiting between planes.

when Wheeler discovered he was going to have a long wait he telephoned Bryce DeWitt, a friend at a nearby university, who offered to come out to the airport, keep him company and work on an idea. So the two of them got together at the airport and made up a quantized version of the Einstein equation. I think I read that Wheeler considered it to be really the work of DeWitt (he downplayed his own role) but all the same people usually call it DeWitt-Wheeler, after both of them. I have a notion that would have been in the Sixties sometime

1. Who was Bryce DeWitt?

Bryce DeWitt was a renowned physicist and professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He made significant contributions to the fields of quantum gravity and quantum field theory.

2. How did Bryce DeWitt die?

Bryce DeWitt passed away on September 23, 2004 at the age of 81 due to complications from a stroke.

3. What were some of Bryce DeWitt's notable achievements?

Bryce DeWitt was known for his work on the Wheeler-DeWitt equation, which is a key concept in the study of quantum gravity. He also made significant contributions to the understanding of quantum field theory and the foundations of quantum mechanics.

4. What was Bryce DeWitt's impact on the field of physics?

Bryce DeWitt's contributions to the field of physics have had a lasting impact on our understanding of the universe. His work on quantum gravity and quantum field theory has helped shape our understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions.

5. What was Bryce DeWitt's legacy?

Bryce DeWitt's legacy continues to live on through his influential work and the countless physicists he mentored throughout his career. He is remembered as a brilliant and dedicated scientist who made groundbreaking contributions to the field of physics.