Can Holding Your Breath for Too Long Cause Cell Death?

• Thread starter rhia
  • Start date
In summary, holding your breath for a long period of time is not dangerous as long as you are not doing it to commit suicide.
rhia
Hold your breath or not!

Does holding one's breath for a long time cause cells to die due to lack of oxygen?How long is it safe to hold one's breath ?Till one can??
Thanks

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't believe it's possible to die from holding your breath. worst case scenario, you will lose counciousness, at which point normal breathing will resume. That doesn't mean i reccomend trying it however, because longer term cell damage could still occur i think.

With lack of Oxygen their is not acceptor for the electons coming through the kreb's cycle. Therefore, no ATP, will be made, which will lead to insufficent energy for cells and then death. So it is not neccessirly the lack of oxygen it is the lack of ATP.

Nautica

aye, that's true, however bare in mind that ATP can still be made anerobicly.

The general scientific consensus is that holding one's breath until loss of consciousness is probably not dangerous, at least not unless done many many times a day. Having a few beers is probably much worse.

- Warren

It's only dangerous if you bump your head when you fall down! Otherwise, what Chroot said!

If you want to suicide try jump from the 10° floor. A shot in the head is very intersting, but jump maybe more funny.

matthyaouw said:
I don't believe it's possible to die from holding your breath. worst case scenario, you will lose counciousness, at which point normal breathing will resume. That doesn't mean i reccomend trying it however, because longer term cell damage could still occur i think.

Your correct in thinking you can not die by holding your own breath. It is programmed into our brains to take in a gulp of air. ( fail-safe devise) if you may. Example: your underwater and on the verge of drowning,no matter how long you try to hold your breath, The brains fail-safe will trigger and you will breath thus filling your lungs with water and drowning).

1. Is holding your breath safe?

It depends on how long you hold your breath for. Holding your breath for a short amount of time is generally safe, but holding it for too long can be dangerous and even lead to loss of consciousness.

2. What happens to your body when you hold your breath?

When you hold your breath, the oxygen level in your body decreases while the carbon dioxide level increases. This can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, and even lead to fainting if held for too long.

3. Can holding your breath improve lung capacity?

While holding your breath may temporarily increase lung capacity, it is not a reliable or safe method for improving lung function. In fact, it can put strain on your respiratory system and even cause damage if done excessively.

4. How long can a person safely hold their breath?

The average person can hold their breath for about 1-2 minutes without any significant risk. However, this can vary depending on factors such as age, health, and physical fitness. It is not recommended to push the limits and try to hold your breath for extended periods of time.

5. Is holding your breath a good way to reduce stress or anxiety?

Holding your breath may provide a temporary distraction from stress or anxiety, but it is not a healthy or effective coping mechanism. It can actually increase stress and anxiety levels in the long run by putting strain on the body's oxygen levels and causing discomfort.