Switching terms in a series - theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a series defined by b_n in relation to the convergence of a series defined by a_n. The speaker explains how they proved that the sequence of partial sums for b_n is bounded above and how they believe this proves convergence. They also mention their difficulties in finding a counterexample and their plan to explore the Cauchy Criterion.
estro
Suppose a_n defined in the following way:
[tex]b_{2n}=a_{2n-1} [/tex]
[tex]b_{2n-1}=a_{2n} [/tex]
I know that [tex] \sum a_n [/tex] is convergent.

This how I proved that [tex] \sum b_n [/tex] is also convergent.

[tex]S_k=\sum_{n=1}^k b_n = \sum_{n=1}^k b_{2n} + \sum_{n=1}^k b_{2n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^k a_{2n-1} + \sum_{n=1}^k a_{2n} = \sum_{n=1}^k a_n \leq M [/tex]

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are saying that [itex]a_1+ a_2+ a_3+ a_4+ a_5+ a_6+ ...[/itex] becomes [itex]a_2+ a_1+ a_4+ a_3+ a_6+ a_5+ ...[/itex]?

What you have proved is that the sequence of partial sums is bounded above. If those partial sums are not increasing (if the [itex]a_n[/itex] are not all non-negative) that does not prove convergence.

Thanks, I now understand my mistake, but I can't find contra-example for this theorem.
My intuition locks me into thinking that switching 2 closest terms won't change convergence.
How should I approach such problems?
I will try thinking about Cauchy Criterion.

[tex] \sum a_n \rightarrow L\ \Rightarrow\ a_n\rightarrow0\ \Rightarrow\ \forall\ n>N_1\ a_n<\epsilon/4[/tex]
[tex] \sum a_n \rightarrow L\ \Rightarrow\ \forall\ m,n>N_2 |\\ \sum_{n+1}^m a_n|\leq \epsilon/4 [/tex]

So for all n>max{N_1+1,N_2+1}
[tex]|\sum_{k=n+1}^m b_k| \leq |a_n + \sum_{k=n+1}^m a_k + a_{m+1}| \leq \epsilon [/tex]

Is this idea right?

Last edited:
I also try to explain in words my idea as I getting hard time with latex:

Because [tex]\sum a_n [/tex] is convergent and thanks to Cauchy Criterion we know that after some n I can sum a_n as many times as I want while keep the sum small as I want.
So I took little more terms to express [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] and to meet the Cauchy Criterion again.
I hope I expressed myself clearly

Still not sure about this, will appreciate opinions.
Thanks

What is the "Switching terms in a series - theorem"?

The "Switching terms in a series - theorem" is a mathematical theorem that states that the order of terms in a series can be rearranged without changing the overall sum of the series. This means that the terms in a series can be switched around and the result will be the same.

Why is the "Switching terms in a series - theorem" important?

The "Switching terms in a series - theorem" is important because it allows mathematicians to manipulate and simplify series in order to solve complex problems. It also helps in the study of convergence and divergence of series.

What are the conditions for applying the "Switching terms in a series - theorem"?

The "Switching terms in a series - theorem" can be applied if the series is absolutely convergent, meaning that the series of absolute values converges. It can also be applied if the series is conditionally convergent, meaning that the series of values itself converges but the series of absolute values does not converge.

What is the difference between "Switching terms in a series - theorem" and "Rearrangement theorem"?

While the "Switching terms in a series - theorem" allows for the terms in a series to be rearranged without changing the overall sum, the "Rearrangement theorem" states that the order of terms in a conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to result in any desired sum. In other words, the "Rearrangement theorem" allows for more flexibility in rearranging terms compared to the "Switching terms in a series - theorem".

How is the "Switching terms in a series - theorem" used in real-world applications?

The "Switching terms in a series - theorem" has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to simplify complex series and make calculations easier. It is also used in the study of oscillatory systems and signal processing.