3 equations, 3 variables: can it be solved?

• Thread starter azizz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, to solve a kinematic problem with the given equations, one can transform all cosines into sines and introduce new variables to create a system of equations in x, y, and z. This system can then be solved to find the values of theta_a, psi_a, and theta_c, within the given constraints.
azizz
For a kinematic problem I obtained the following equations:

p1=- r*sin(theta_c) - d*cos(psi_a)*sin(theta_a)+c1
p2=d*sin(psi_a)*sin(theta_a)+c2
p3=d*cos(theta_a) + r*cos(theta_c)+c3

I want to solve these equations for theta_a, psi_a, theta_c, assuming that all other variables are known.
The solutions should be within these constraints:
-pi/4<psi_a<pi/4
pi/4<theta_a<3*4/pi
-pi/2<theta_c<pi/2

Can someone help me solving this problem? I think it should be possible, but it is quite hard...

Thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how you can solve it (but it's probably going to be a lot of manipulation):

Transform every cosine in the system into a sine using the formula [tex]\cos\theta=\pm\sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta}[/tex] (plus or minus depending on in what quadrant the theta is).

Now introduce the following variables: [tex]\sin(\theta_a)=x,~\sin(\psi_a)=y,~\sin(\theta_c)=z[/tex]. Now you have a system of equations in x, y and z. And it is not too hard to solve this, I think...

That works indeed.
Thanks a lot!

1. Can any system of 3 equations and 3 variables be solved?

Yes, it is possible to solve any system of 3 equations and 3 variables as long as the equations are independent and there is a unique solution for each variable.

2. What is the method for solving a system of 3 equations and 3 variables?

The most common method for solving a system of 3 equations and 3 variables is using the substitution or elimination method, where one variable is isolated and substituted into the other equations to solve for the remaining variables.

3. Is there a specific order in which the equations should be solved?

No, there is no specific order in which the equations should be solved. However, it is often easier to start with the simplest equation or the one with the fewest variables.

4. How do I know if a system of 3 equations and 3 variables has no solution?

If the equations are inconsistent and there is no solution that satisfies all three equations, then the system has no solution. This can be determined by simplifying the equations and checking for any contradictions.

5. Can a system of 3 equations and 3 variables have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a system of 3 equations and 3 variables to have more than one solution if the equations are dependent or if there are infinite solutions that satisfy all three equations.