Visualizing dynamics in Matlab

In summary: Contour" is not the best choice for this problem as it is more suited for plotting level curves of a function, rather than regions of attraction.
sscnekro
Hello, I would like to plot fixed points with corresponding basins of attraction in Matlab. I am having a system of two DE in variables $k$ and $c$ (LaTeX notation), the remaining ones are parameters:
\dot{k} = A \cdot k^{\alpha} - c - \delta \cdot k
\dot{c}= (\sigma \cdot ( A \cdot \alpha \cdot k^{\alpha - 1} - \beta - \delta)) \cdot c

I know to plot the direction field for this problem, but I would like to enhance the picture by plotting the regions. Browsing the web I found plots using ez-/contour, for a peaks based problem. I'm not having idea however, how to make contour work with my problem or if contour is actually the way to go... Hope for some of you this is an easy dab. Thanks for hints!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to plot the fixed points and their corresponding basins of attraction is to use a Matlab function specifically designed for this purpose. The "basin" function is designed to do just that, it allows you to plot regions of attraction around any point in your system of two differential equations. The syntax for the basin function is as follows: basin(A, alpha, delta, sigma, beta, krange, crange) where A, alpha, delta, sigma, beta are the parameters of your system, krange is the range of k values to consider, and crange is the range of c values to consider. The basin function will then plot the regions of attraction and provide a color coded output of which region each point is in.

What is Matlab and how is it used for visualizing dynamics?

Matlab is a programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows users to create and manipulate data, perform calculations and simulations, and generate visualizations to better understand and analyze dynamic systems.

How can I plot and analyze time series data in Matlab?

To plot time series data in Matlab, you can use the plot function. This will create a line plot with time on the x-axis and the data values on the y-axis. You can also use the plotyy function to plot data with two different y-axes. To analyze the data, you can use various built-in functions such as mean, std, and max to calculate statistical measures, or use the fft function to perform frequency domain analysis.

Can I create animations of dynamic systems in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions such as movie and getframe that allow you to create animations of dynamic systems. You can also use the VideoWriter object to save the animation as a video file. Additionally, there are various third-party toolboxes available for creating more advanced animations in Matlab.

Are there any tips for improving the visualizations of dynamic systems in Matlab?

To improve the visualizations of dynamic systems in Matlab, you can use different plot styles, colors, and markers to differentiate between different data series. You can also add labels, titles, and legends to make the plots more informative. Additionally, you can adjust the axes limits and aspect ratio to better display the data and use the hold and subplot functions to create multiple plots in one figure.

How can I share my visualizations of dynamic systems created in Matlab?

Matlab allows you to save your plots and figures in various formats such as PNG, JPEG, and PDF. You can also export the data used in the plots to Excel or CSV files for sharing with others. Additionally, you can use Matlab's publish function to create interactive HTML documents that include your code, plots, and results, making it easy to share your work with others.