Showcasing f(z)=u(x,y)+i*v(x,y) Properties

• Thread starter neginf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that any function f(z)=u(x,y)+i*v(x,y) with three given properties must be of the form f(z)=(e^x)*(cos y + i*sin y). The conversation provides a hint from a book to first find g(y) and h(y) such that u(x,y)=(e^x)*g(y) and v(x,y)=(e^x)*h(y), and then to use the fact that u(x,y) is harmonic to show that g(y)=A*cos y+B*sin y for real constants A and B. Finally, it is pointed out that h(y)=A*sin y-B*cos y and by noting that g(0)+i*h(
neginf
Trying to show any f(z)=u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) with the 3 properties:
1. f(x+0*i)=e^x,
2. f(z) is entire,
3. f ' (z)=f(z) for all z,
has to be f(z)=(e^x) * (cos y + i*siny).

The hint in the book (Complex Variables and Applications, 6 ed., Churchill+Brown) says:
(a) Get u=u sub x and v=v sub y, show there are g(y), h(y) such that u(x,y)=(e^x) * g(y)
and v(x,y)=(e^x) * h(y). did this
(b) Use u(x,y) being harmonic to get g''(y)+g(y)=0 and so g(y)=A*cos y+B*sin y for real
constants A and B. did this
(c) Point out why h(y) = A*sin y-B*cos y and note g(0)+i*h(0)=1, find A and B and conclude
that f(z)=(e^x) * (cos y + i*siny). did the h(y)=-g'(y)=A*sin y-B*cos y
part but cannot get the g(0)+ i*h(0)=1 part. I get g(0)+i*h(0)=A-i*B and get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/tex]
[tex]=e^x(g(y)+ih(y))[/tex]
[tex]f(x+0i)=e^x(g(0)+ih(0))=e^x[/tex]
Compare real and imaginary parts, g(0)=1, h(0)=0.

Thank you very much.

That really was an "e^z" question!:biggrin:

1. What is the meaning of f(z) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) in the context of showcasing properties?

The function f(z) represents a complex-valued function with a real part u(x,y) and an imaginary part v(x,y). This notation is commonly used in mathematics and engineering to describe a function that operates on complex numbers.

2. What types of properties can be showcased using f(z) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y)?

There are various properties that can be showcased using this notation, including continuity, differentiability, analyticity, and conformality. These properties can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of the function.

3. How can f(z) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) be graphically represented?

The real and imaginary parts of the function can be plotted separately on a two-dimensional graph, with the horizontal axis representing the values of x and the vertical axis representing the values of y. This can help visualize the behavior and properties of the function in the complex plane.

4. What is the significance of the conjugate function f*(z) = u(x,y) - i*v(x,y) in showcasing properties?

The conjugate function, also known as the complex conjugate, is an important concept in complex analysis. It is used to define properties such as differentiability and analyticity, and can also be used to simplify calculations involving complex functions.

5. Can f(z) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, this notation can be used to model and solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in electrical engineering, this notation is used to represent the voltage and current in an alternating current circuit.