Solve the Spring-Block System: Find x1 & x2

• Thread starter emmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the block moves slowly and the applied force is negligible so the work of the external force is 8.0 J.
emmy

Homework Statement

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c07/pict_7_11.gif

In the above figure, we must apply a force of magnitude 82.0 N to hold the block stationary at x=-3.0 cm. From that position, we then slowly move the block so that our force does +8.0 J of work on the spring–block system; the block is then again stationary. What are the block's positions, in cm? ((a) positive and (b) negative)

Homework Equations

Fs=-kΔx
-kxo2-0.5kx2 = W

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sort of lost when it comes to springs, but this is my best shot:
Fs=-kΔx
82N=-k(-3-0cm)
k=2733

W=-kxo2-0.5kx2
8J=-2733(-3)2- 0.5(2733)(x)2
8J=-24597-0.5(2733)(x)2
24605=-0.5(2733)(x)2
-18.01=x2

And that's where I'm stuck, so I definitely know it must be wrong. The only thing I can think is maybe I got the wrong sign on k, the spring constant. If so,
k=-2733
8J=2733(9)-0.5(-2733)(x)2
-17.99=x2

Either way, it's not a real number, so where did I go wrong...?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

You used cm units in the expression of energy. Convert cm-s to m-s to get energy in joules.

Write up the change of elastic energy: it is equal to the work of the external force. Your equation is entirely wrong.

ehild

Last edited:

ehild said:
You used cm units in the expression of energy. Convert cm-s to m-s to get energy in joules.

Write up the change of elastic energy: it is equal to the work of the external force. Your equation is entirely wrong.

ehild

Right, sorry I did change it when finding the spring constant but forgot otherwise.

Fs=-kΔx
82N=-k(-0.03-0m)
k=2733N/m

To be honest, I'm not sure what elastic energy is, but it sounds like a kind of potential energy--which I don't know an equation for...

External Force, Fs
Work of external force=
W=F•Δx
This is the only equation i could relate from my notes to the work and external force and it can't be used because force isn't constant.

So instead:
W = [tex] \int_0^{.03m} f(x) \cdot dx [/tex]
I didn't think you could do that for springs... But I'm not sure what else to do

use conservation of energy. recheck your equations once.

supratim1 said:
use conservation of energy. recheck your equations once.

K=Kfinal-Kinitial ?

I'm armed with equations and I'm no longer sure what they do :redface:
Though looking back, maybe I messed up on the original equation I used? Unless that one's completely inappropriate for this problem...

Fs=-kΔx
82N=-k(-0.03-0m)
k=2733N/m

W=-0.5kxo2-0.5kx2
8J=-2733(.5)(-.03)2- 0.5(2733)(x)2
8J=-2.4597-0.5(2733)(x)2
9.23=-0.5(2733)(x)2
-.0068=x2

I'm sorry, i wish I was grasping this... I need to introduce a negative somewhere to get a positive answer so I can take a square root

The work of external for is given while compressing the spring. As it is said that the block moves very slowly, the work to accelerate the block to this speed is negligible and the acceleration of the block is zero. The applied force is in equilibrium with the force of the spring, so f(x)=kx. The integral of this force from x=-0.03 to the new position of the block is equal to 8.0 J.

ehild

ehild said:
The work of external for is given while compressing the spring. As it is said that the block moves very slowly, the work to accelerate the block to this speed is negligible and the acceleration of the block is zero. The applied force is in equilibrium with the force of the spring, so f(x)=kx. The integral of this force from x=-0.03 to the new position of the block is equal to 8.0 J.

ehild

So in other words,

integral from -.03 to x of kxdx = 8J
(k)(x2/2)|x-.03 = 8J
k = 2733N/m

8/2733 = x2/2 - (.03)2/2
0.003377 = x2/2
+ 0.082 = x

and then i'd do the same for the negative but integrate from x to -.03?

emmy said:
8/2733 = x2/2 - (.03)2/2
0.003377 = x2/2
+ 0.082 = x

You have two solutions for x, one positive, one negative: x=±0.082 m.

ehild

ehild said:
You have two solutions for x, one positive, one negative: x=±0.082 m.

ehild

Thank you very much for your help, I'm not sure I understand completely yet, but I'm going to keep staring at it until I understand!
:blushing:

You have got the equation for the position x. It is of second order, like the one x2=4, for example. There are two solutions x1=2 and x2=-2 as the square of both is equal to 4. But you know that, it is simple Maths. And it is valid in Physics, too:smile:

ehild

1. What is a spring-block system?

A spring-block system is a physical system composed of a spring and a block that are connected together. The spring provides a restoring force while the block represents a mass that can move in response to the force of the spring.

2. What is x1 and x2 in a spring-block system?

x1 and x2 represent the positions of the two blocks in the spring-block system. x1 is the position of the first block connected to the spring and x2 is the position of the second block. These positions can be measured in meters.

3. How do you solve for x1 and x2 in a spring-block system?

To solve for x1 and x2, you need to use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. You also need to consider the mass of the blocks and any external forces acting on the system. The equations of motion can then be used to solve for x1 and x2.

4. What are the units for x1 and x2 in a spring-block system?

The units for x1 and x2 will depend on the units used for the displacement and mass in the equations of motion. Typically, x1 and x2 will be measured in meters since displacement is usually measured in meters and mass is measured in kilograms.

5. Can the spring constant affect the values of x1 and x2 in a spring-block system?

Yes, the spring constant can affect the values of x1 and x2 in a spring-block system. A higher spring constant will result in a greater force exerted by the spring, leading to larger values for x1 and x2. Similarly, a lower spring constant will result in a smaller force and smaller values for x1 and x2.