Why do large particles scatter more light than smaller particles?

In summary, the size and composition of particles have a direct impact on their ability to scatter light. Larger particles with rough surfaces and high refractive indices scatter more light due to their larger surface area for light to interact with. The wavelength of light also plays a role, with shorter wavelengths being scattered more by smaller particles and longer wavelengths by larger particles.
thewall12

Homework Statement

Silly question, I know. I suspect it's because of a wider reflecting angle due to the diameter, but I'm not quite sure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea---but 'wider angle' isn't quite the right way to think about it. Bigger objects have a larger cross-section, more light hits them, thus more light is scattered.

1. Why do large particles scatter more light than smaller particles?

Large particles scatter more light because they have a larger surface area for light to interact with. This results in more light being reflected in different directions, causing the scattering effect.

2. How does the size of a particle affect its ability to scatter light?

The size of a particle directly affects its ability to scatter light. Larger particles have a greater surface area, which means more light can be reflected and scattered in different directions.

3. What is the relationship between particle size and scattering of light?

The relationship between particle size and scattering of light is that as the particle size increases, the amount of light scattered also increases. This is because larger particles have a greater surface area for light to interact with and reflect in different directions.

4. Can the composition of a particle affect its scattering of light?

Yes, the composition of a particle can affect its scattering of light. For example, particles with rough surfaces or high refractive indices tend to scatter more light than smooth and low refractive index particles.

5. How does the wavelength of light play a role in particle scattering?

The wavelength of light also plays a role in particle scattering. Shorter wavelengths of light, such as blue and violet, are scattered more by small particles, while longer wavelengths like red and orange are scattered more by larger particles.