What would be the physical consequence of a non-metric connection?

In summary, if we use a derivative that does not satisfy \nabla_X g=0 for tangent fields X, then parallel transported vectors will not preserve their length.
pellman
Suppose in whatever physical theory we are using, our derivative does not satisfy [tex]\nabla_X g=0[/tex] for tangent fields X. Of course, this means that parallel-transported vectors do not preserve their length. But what would this look like physically?

Perhaps there are various consequences which depend on the details of the connection coefficients, but I just want to get a general idea so that the signficance of why we want [tex]\nabla_X g=0[/tex] will sink in. Right now the most it means to me is that it simplifies the calculations :-)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is like asking, "What would be the physical significance of a rank three tensor?" The answer of course is, whatever meaning your theory has assigned to it. After Einstein's success in explaining gravity in terms of geometry, people tried to extend the idea to somehow incorporate electromagnetism as an aspect of geometry. Unsymmetrical metric tensors, for example, and of course the Kaluza-Klein theories. None of them led anywhere.

Thanks, Bill.

Maybe I should have asked the inverse question. Why do we assume that [tex]\nabla_X g=0[/tex] in GR?

pellman said:
Thanks, Bill.

Maybe I should have asked the inverse question. Why do we assume that [tex]\nabla_X g=0[/tex] in GR?

I presume that you gave your self the answer in the initial intervention: to preserve the length. Why do we preserve the length? For a part because of the Morley-Michelson experiment and the analysis we have made of it.

I don't get it though. If lengths changed as we passed from one point to another, the lengths of our measuring rods would change as well, so how would you notice?

Edit: unless the change in length was path dependent. ??

pellman said:
I don't get it though. If lengths changed as we passed from one point to another, the lengths of our measuring rods would change as well, so how would you notice?

In observing the proportions.

L -> L' = 2. L
S = L2 -> S' = (2.L). (2.L) = 4. S for a square
V = L3 -> V' = (2.L).(2.L).(2.L) = 8. V for a cube

So if your rod a initial length r, it becomes 2.r and effectively L/r = L'/r'.

But now consider V/r (or V/L) and compare it with V'/r' (or resp. V'/L') and state that V'/r' = 8.V/2.r = 4. V/r which is obviously not V/r. Your eyes will tell you the difference immediately!

pellman said:

Edit: unless the change in length was path dependent. ??
Essentially, yes, the problem is path dependence- that, as you might remember from Calculus III, implies there are closed paths over which length changes.

Use your measuring rod to measure and object, then carry your measuring rod around a closed path that changed lengths, to remeasure the same object (which has not moved).

Thanks, all. Much appreciated

1. What is a non-metric connection?

A non-metric connection is a mathematical concept used in the study of differential geometry. It describes how to differentiate vector fields on a curved space, such as a manifold. In simpler terms, it is a way to measure the change of a vector as it moves along a curved surface.

2. How does a non-metric connection differ from a metric connection?

A metric connection takes into account the metric or distance function of a space, while a non-metric connection does not. This means that a non-metric connection is more general and can be applied to a wider range of spaces, including those that do not have a defined metric.

3. What are the physical consequences of using a non-metric connection?

One of the main consequences is that the concept of parallel transport, which is used to compare vectors at different points on a curved surface, may be different depending on the type of connection used. This can affect the results of physical theories that rely on parallel transport, such as general relativity.

4. Can a non-metric connection be used in real-world applications?

Yes, non-metric connections have been used in various fields including physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in the study of gravitational fields and in the development of artificial intelligence algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to using a non-metric connection?

One limitation is that non-metric connections can be more complex to work with compared to metric connections. This means that they may not always be the most practical choice for solving certain problems. Additionally, in some cases, a metric connection may be necessary for accurately describing physical phenomena.