Tornado Hits Parking Lot - Watch the Video!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary: The conversation is about a video showing a tornado hitting after an SUV pulls up, and the group's reactions to it. The conversation also touches on the importance of being aware and prepared for severe weather. In summary, the conversation highlights the power and unpredictability of tornadoes and the need to be cautious and prepared when living in tornado-prone areas.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Since I'm in a tornado watch area for today and tomorrow, thought I'd share this.

The tornado hits right after the SUV pulls up about 58 seconds (if you are impatient).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xT9pfDVML8

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HOLY @^#*! The person in that SUV must have been terrified.

Careful Evo, don't jinx yourself...

Rhody... :eek:

daveb said:
HOLY @^#*! The person in that SUV must have been terrified.
I'm sure they soiled their pants, I know I would.

rhody said:
Careful Evo, don't jinx yourself...

Rhody... :eek:
Yeah, I should be careful what I say.

I just watched the video from home, were those little eddies right at the end of the video ? That wasn't the main funnel right ?

Rhody... :confused:

I am surprised by people just before the tornado - they seem completely unaware that something is coming in. I understand someone in car can not know what is going on, but people are walking as if it was a Sunday walk. No sirens, not warnings, they don't see it is behind the corner?

Ha! Yea the people seem to be walking normally, then you can see them running a bit. That first car got out just in time. This vid just shows how powerful they can be...Take care Evo

Evo said:
Since I'm in a tornado watch area for today and tomorrow, thought I'd share this.

The tornado hits right after the SUV pulls up about 58 seconds (if you are impatient).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xT9pfDVML8

It looks like that they saw what was coming and decided to get between two other cars to keep from being lifted off the ground easily. Pretty smart if that's what they intended. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes a tornado to hit a parking lot?

Tornadoes are caused by a combination of warm, moist air rising and cold, dry air descending. When these air masses collide, it creates instability in the atmosphere and can lead to the formation of a tornado. In the case of a tornado hitting a parking lot, the flat surface and lack of obstacles can make it easier for the tornado to form and cause damage.

2. How common are tornadoes in parking lots?

Tornadoes can occur in any location, including parking lots. However, they are more commonly seen in open areas with fewer obstructions, such as farmland or open fields. The frequency of tornadoes in parking lots may also depend on the geographical location and weather patterns of the area.

3. What should I do if I am in a parking lot during a tornado?

If you are in a vehicle, the safest option is to stay in your car, buckle your seatbelt, and try to drive to a nearby sturdy building or underground shelter. If that is not possible, stay low in your vehicle, covering your head and neck with your hands and a blanket or jacket if available. If you are on foot, seek shelter in a sturdy building or lie flat in a low-lying area and cover your head with your arms.

4. Can a tornado hit a parking lot without warning?

Tornadoes can form quickly and without warning, making it important to always be prepared. However, modern technology and weather monitoring systems have significantly improved the ability to detect and predict tornadoes. In most cases, there will be some warning signs, such as dark and rotating clouds, before a tornado forms in a parking lot.

5. How can we stay safe in the event of a tornado hitting a parking lot?

The best way to stay safe during a tornado in a parking lot is to have a plan in place beforehand. This includes knowing where the nearest shelter is, keeping an emergency kit in your car, and staying informed about weather conditions. It is also important to stay calm and follow instructions from emergency personnel. After the tornado passes, be cautious of any downed power lines or debris and seek medical attention if needed.