Therefore, (mn)! is divisible by m!(n!)^m.

In summary: So if the prime factorization of m is \prod p_i^{e_i} (with the p_i distinct), then m! is divisible by \prod p_i^{e_i}, as is \binom{mn}{n} (\binom{mn}{n} is divisible by \prod p_i^{e_i} since it is \alpha n choose n, and \alpha is divisible by \prod p_i^{e_i}).In summary, we can prove that \binom{\alpha n}{n} is divisible by \alpha by using the property \binom{n}{k}=\frac{n}{k}\binom{n-1}{k-1} and considering the prime factorization of m.
rukawakaede
Hi, we know that for all interger [itex]m[/itex], [itex]n_1!\cdots n_k![/itex] divides [itex]m![/itex] where [itex]n_1+\cdots+n_k=m[/itex].

Now I want to show that [itex]m! (n!)^m[/itex] divides [itex](mn)![/itex].

We see that [itex](n!)^m[/itex] divides [itex](mn)![/itex] since [itex]\overbrace{n+\cdots+n}^{m-terms}=mn[/itex]

Also [itex]m!(nm-m)![/itex] divides [itex](mn)![/itex] similarly.

But how could I show my required statement above? It works for some examples that I've tested and I believe it is true.

Any inputs would be appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rukawakaede! :smile:

First of all, let us define the multinomial coefficient: (for [itex]k_1+...+k_m=1[/itex])

[tex]\binom{n}{k_1,...,k_m}=\frac{n!}{k_1!...k_m!}[/tex]

What you want to show is that the multinomial coefficent

[tex]\binom{nm}{n,...,n}[/tex]

is divisible by m!

Now, first note the following equality that represents the multinomial coefficients as binomials:

[tex]\binom{nm}{n,...,n}=\binom{n}{n} \binom{2n}{n}\binom{3n}{n} ...\binom{mn}{n}[/tex]

So it actually suffices to show that [itex]\binom{kn}{n}[/itex] is divisible by k.

Let me give the idea on how to prove this by showing that 2 divides [itex]\binom{2n}{n}[/itex].

Factorize [itex]2n=2^rs[/itex] such that 2 does not divide s. In modulo 2, we know that

[tex](X+1)^2=X^2+1[/tex]

and thus

[tex](X+1)^{2^r}=X^{2^r}+1[/tex]

and thus

[tex](X+1)^{2n}=(X^{2^r}+1)^s[/tex]

Expanding both terms using the binomial theorem gives us that the coefficient of [itex]X^n[/itex] in both terms are equal. But the coefficient of [itex]X^n[/itex] in the left polynomial is

[tex]\binom{2n}{n}[/tex]

But the coefficient of [itex]X^n[/itex] in the right polynomial is 0, as we can never write [itex]n=2^rk[/itex] (we have a 2 too much).

Hope that helped.

I'm wondering how you would generalize this method to composite m. The identity [itex](1 + x)^{m} \equiv 1 + x^m[/itex] doesn't hold for composite bases.

Yuqing said:
I'm wondering how you would generalize this method to composite m. The identity [itex](1 + x)^{m} \equiv 1 + x^m[/itex] doesn't hold for composite bases.

Prove it for all the prime factors. For example, to show that something is divisible by 6 is equivalent to showing that it is divisible by 2 and 3.

micromass said:
Prove it for all the prime factors. For example, to show that something is divisible by 6 is equivalent to showing that it is divisible by 2 and 3.

The problem I'm having is with prime powers. For example, your method proves 2 divides [itex]\binom{2n}{n}[/itex]. Can you give an example on how you would prove, say, [itex]\binom{8n}{n}[/itex]?

Hmm, I see the problem. But I made it harder than it was. In general, we know that

[tex]\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n}{k}\binom{n-1}{k-1}[/tex]

Thus

[tex]\binom{\alpha n}{n}=\alpha\binom{\alpha n-1}{n-1}[/tex]

so it is divisible by [itex]\alpha[/itex].

1. What is divisibility?

Divisibility is the mathematical concept of determining whether a number, known as the dividend, is evenly divisible by another number, known as the divisor, without leaving a remainder.

2. How do I know if a number is divisible by another number?

A number is divisible by another number if the remainder of the division is equal to zero. In other words, if the result of dividing the dividend by the divisor is a whole number, then the dividend is divisible by the divisor.

3. What is a factorial?

A factorial is the product of all positive integers from 1 up to a given number. It is represented by an exclamation mark (!) and is commonly used in combinatorics and probability to calculate the number of possible permutations or combinations.

4. How do I calculate a factorial?

To calculate a factorial, you simply multiply all the positive integers from 1 up to the given number. For example, 5! = 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 = 120. Many calculators have a factorial function that you can use to easily calculate factorials.

5. What is the relationship between divisibility and factorials?

There is no direct relationship between divisibility and factorials. However, factorials can be used to determine the number of ways a set of objects can be arranged, which can help in solving divisibility problems involving large numbers or multiple divisors.