Recommendations for Introductory and Intermediate books relating to Particle Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person's plan to pursue a master's degree and eventually a doctorate in particle physics. They are looking for recommendations for books or textbooks that can help them learn the basics of particle physics with only a background of two years of university physics. Some suggestions were made, including "Veltman" and "Particle Physics: An Introduction."
chris_0101
Hi everybody,

Just recently I got an epiphany (or a crazy idea, I don't really know which one) that I want to pursue a masters, with the emphasis of skipping my masters half way through in order to upgrade to a doctorate. The program that I am in (B.Sc in Medical Physics, 2nd year) does not have any courses that relate to particle physics directly and I am wondering if anyone can recommend any books or textbooks that will allow a person with only 2 years of a university physics background to pick up and learn the basics of particle physics.

Once understanding the basics, I plan on broadening my understanding by reading more on this stream of physics and if anyone can suggest more of an intermediate level book or textbook that would be great as well.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some good introductory books for learning about particle physics?

Some popular introductory books for particle physics include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close, and "Concepts of Particle Physics" by Kurt Gottfried.

2. Are there any recommended books for those with a basic understanding of particle physics?

Yes, some recommended books for readers with a basic understanding of particle physics include "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Particle Physics: A Comprehensive Introduction" by Abraham Seiden.

3. Can you recommend any books for intermediate level readers in particle physics?

Some popular books for intermediate level readers in particle physics include "An Introduction to the Standard Model of Particle Physics" by W.N. Cottingham and D.A. Greenwood, "The Standard Model in a Nutshell" by Dave Goldberg, and "Modern Particle Physics" by Mark Thomson.

4. Are there any books that cover the history of particle physics?

Yes, some books that cover the history of particle physics include "The Infinity Puzzle: Quantum Field Theory and the Hunt for an Orderly Universe" by Frank Close, "The Particle Odyssey: A Journey to the Heart of Matter" by Frank Close, and "The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Mystic of the Atom" by Graham Farmelo.

5. Are there any books that explore the philosophical implications of particle physics?

Yes, some books that explore the philosophical implications of particle physics include "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra, "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene, and "The Book of Universes: Exploring the Limits of the Cosmos" by John D. Barrow.