Lion 10.7 ssh-ing from outside

• Thread starter natski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Outside
In summary, the person is asking for help on how to ssh their mac mini server from outside their wireless network. They have tried turning on Remote Sharing and using the provided IP address, but it does not work. The solution suggested is to do port forwarding on their router to direct traffic to port 22 on the machine running the SSH server.
natski
Hi all,

I have never had a server OS before but just got myself a new mac mini server with Lion server installed. The point of this was so I could ssh my machine from work and access my files from wherever I am. Sadly, I seem to be only able to ssh my machine when I am on the same wireless network. How do I ssh my machine from outside this network?

The thing I tried was turning on Remote Sharing which gave me an IP address to ssh, but this does not work when I am outside the network.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this appears as a grossly newb question,

Natski

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need to do port forwarding on your router to send the traffic directed to port 22 (the default for SSH) to the router, to the same port on the machine running the SSH server.

1. Can I use SSH to access my Lion 10.7 computer from outside my local network?

Yes, you can use SSH (Secure Shell) to remotely access your Lion 10.7 computer from outside your local network. This allows you to securely log in and control your computer from a remote location.

2. How do I enable SSH on my Lion 10.7 computer?

To enable SSH on your Lion 10.7 computer, go to System Preferences and click on Sharing. Then, check the box next to "Remote Login" to enable SSH access. You may need to adjust your firewall settings to allow SSH connections.

3. What is the default SSH port for Lion 10.7?

The default SSH port for Lion 10.7 is 22. This can be changed in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file if needed. It is important to only change the port if necessary and to use a secure, non-standard port if you do change it.

4. Can I use SSH to transfer files between my Lion 10.7 computer and another computer?

Yes, you can use SSH to transfer files between your Lion 10.7 computer and another computer. This is done using the scp (secure copy) command. You can also use SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) for a more user-friendly interface.

5. How do I securely connect to my Lion 10.7 computer using SSH?

To securely connect to your Lion 10.7 computer using SSH, you will need to use a client such as Terminal (built-in to Mac OS) or PuTTY (for Windows). You will also need the IP address or hostname of your computer, as well as a username and password with SSH access. It is recommended to use SSH keys for even more secure authentication.