Calculating Electric Force with Coulomb's Law: Balloon and Denim Example

In summary, the question asks for the electric force between a balloon and denim when they are separated by 0.05 m. The balloon gains a charge of -8 x 10^-6 C when rubbed against the denim, but the initial charges for both objects are not given. Using Coulomb's Law, the force can be calculated if the charges are known, but since they are not, an assumption of initial charges of zero must be made. Therefore, the electric force cannot be accurately determined in this scenario.
NYROCKFAN
This is the question:

A balloon rubbed against denim gains a charge of -8 x 10^ -6 C. What is the electric force between the balllon and denim when they are separated by 0.05 m?

That's all I know... I need to find the force between the two, all I know is the formula (Coulomb's Law), the distance, the constant (8.99 x 10^9), and that the balloon gains a negative charge. How do I figure it out? Is there a formula to calculate what the initial charges for the balloon and denim are?

Physics news on Phys.org
Help... this question is on a graded packet due tomorrow... any ideas?

Assume that before all the rubbing, the charge on balloon and denim was zero. Hint: Does the net charge change?

The net doesn't change...

So do I plug in zero for q1 & q2 in this equation?

Fe = (8.99 x 10^9)(q1)(q2)

q1 and q2 are the charges on the two objects. You know the charge on the balloon, but you need to figure out the charge on the denim:

If the net charge is zero, what must be the charge on the denim?

Last edited:
That's the thing... I have no IDEA what the charge is on the denim or the balloon. I just know that the balloon gets a specific charge added to the initial charge when the two objects meet.

There are no initial charges given.

NYROCKFAN said:
That's the thing... I have no IDEA what the charge is on the denim or the balloon.
Sure you do. It tells you right here:
A balloon rubbed against denim gains a charge of -8 x 10^ -6 C.​
That's the charge on the balloon.

In the book it says that charge was added to it's initial charge (we isn't known).

NYROCKFAN said:
In the book it says that charge was added to it's initial charge (we isn't known).
So... your statement of the problem in your first post is incomplete? What's the exact statement of the problem?

A balloon, when rubbed against a piece of denim, gains a charge of -8 x 10^ -6 C (therefore,the final charge is -8 x 10^ -6 C more than the initial charge). What is the electric force between the balloon and denim if they are separated by 0.05 m?

That is the exact wording,,, and the book gives no mention of what the final or initial charges for the two objects were (and I've read the entire unit on electric force trying to see if it was mentioned somewhere).

How strange. Obviously you cannot calculate the force without knowing the charges involved. (As opposed to handing in a blank worksheet, I would calculate the force assuming that the initial charges were zero and add a note explaining the need for that assumption.)

Ok... thank you!

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are the units of measurement for the variables in Coulomb's Law?

The units for charge in Coulomb's Law are measured in Coulombs (C) and the units for distance are measured in meters (m). The force is measured in Newtons (N).

How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law is often compared to Newton's Law of Gravitation because they both follow an inverse-square relationship. However, Coulomb's Law describes the interaction between charged particles while Newton's Law of Gravitation describes the interaction between massive objects.

What is the significance of the constant, k, in Coulomb's Law?

The constant, k, is known as the Coulomb constant and it is used to calculate the force between two charged particles. Its value depends on the medium in which the particles are interacting, with a higher value in a vacuum compared to a medium like air or water.

How is Coulomb's Law used in practical applications?

Coulomb's Law is used in various practical applications such as in electrical circuits, designing capacitors and batteries, and understanding the forces between atoms and molecules. It is also used in the field of electromagnetism, which is essential for many modern technologies such as radios, computers, and cell phones.