Electrical Engineering vs Electrical Engineering Technology degree?

In summary, there is a difference between regular engineering and engineering technology degrees. Both programs are ABET accredited, but regular engineering requires attending college full-time while engineering technology can be taken online with lab work at a local college. Regular engineering focuses on designing while engineering technology focuses on working and testing designs.
KillJoy3
What is the difference between the two different degrees, I have only been able to find a few different college websites where they describe the differences but the two different websites had different information on them.

I really want to get into engineering and if I do regular engineering I will have to wait 4 years until I get out of service to attend college full-time but if I do engineering technology I can take it online and just go to the local college to do labs.

Both programs are ABET

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vast oversimplification, but EE's design things. ET's typically work for the EE's and often end up testing the EE's designs.

Think doctor vs. nurse.

Think mechanic vs mechanical engineer.

Think assembling a computer vs. designing the circuits on the graphics card and motherboard.

A good ET can know a lot and bad engineer can know very little. But that's the gist of it.

Antiphon said:
Vast oversimplification, but EE's design things. ET's typically work for the EE's and often end up testing the EE's designs.

Think doctor vs. nurse.

Think mechanic vs mechanical engineer.

Think assembling a computer vs. designing the circuits on the graphics card and motherboard.

A good ET can know a lot and bad engineer can know very little. But that's the gist of it.

Essentially, yes.

Big difference in salary, too.

Thanks for the information.

I can provide a general understanding of the differences between an Electrical Engineering (EE) degree and an Electrical Engineering Technology (EET) degree. However, it is important to note that the specific details and curriculum may vary between different universities and programs.

Generally, an EE degree is a more traditional and comprehensive engineering program that focuses on the theoretical and mathematical principles of electrical engineering. This degree prepares students for careers in research, design, and development of new electrical systems and technologies. It typically involves coursework in advanced mathematics, physics, and specialized courses in areas such as electronics, power systems, and control systems.

On the other hand, an EET degree is a more practical and applied program that focuses on the hands-on implementation and maintenance of electrical systems. This degree prepares students for careers in fields such as electronics manufacturing, product testing, and technical support. It typically involves coursework in basic mathematics and science, as well as hands-on laboratory experience in areas such as circuit design, instrumentation, and troubleshooting.

While both programs may have similar core courses, the emphasis and depth of study may differ. Additionally, an EE degree may require more advanced mathematics and theory courses, while an EET degree may have more practical and applied courses.

Ultimately, the decision between an EE and EET degree will depend on your career goals and interests. If you are more interested in research and development, an EE degree may be a better fit. However, if you prefer hands-on work and practical applications, an EET degree may be more suitable.

It is important to note that both programs are accredited by ABET, which ensures that they meet the standards for quality education in the field of engineering. It is recommended to carefully review the curriculum and course offerings of each program to determine which one aligns best with your career goals and personal circumstances. Additionally, speaking with an academic advisor or faculty members in both programs can provide valuable insight and help you make an informed decision.

1. What is the main difference between an Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology degree?

An Electrical Engineering degree focuses on the theoretical concepts and principles of electrical systems and their applications, while an Electrical Engineering Technology degree emphasizes practical skills and hands-on experience in designing, building, and maintaining electrical systems.

2. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in the field of electrical engineering?

Both degrees can lead to successful careers in the field of electrical engineering. However, an Electrical Engineering degree may be more suitable for those interested in research, development, and advanced design work, while an Electrical Engineering Technology degree is better for those seeking hands-on technical roles in industries such as manufacturing and construction.

3. Can I transfer from an Electrical Engineering Technology program to an Electrical Engineering program?

In most cases, it is possible to transfer from an Electrical Engineering Technology program to an Electrical Engineering program. However, this may require taking additional courses to meet the requirements of the Electrical Engineering program. It is best to consult with your academic advisor or the admissions office of the institution you plan to transfer to for more information.

4. Are job opportunities and salaries different for those with an Electrical Engineering degree compared to an Electrical Engineering Technology degree?

Job opportunities and salaries may vary depending on the specific industry and job role. In general, those with an Electrical Engineering degree may have more opportunities for higher-paying and advanced positions, while those with an Electrical Engineering Technology degree may have more options for entry-level and technical roles.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering with a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering with a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology. However, you may need to take additional courses or demonstrate proficiency in certain areas to meet the requirements of the graduate program. It is best to research the specific requirements of the graduate program you are interested in and consult with the admissions office for more information.