Comparing propane jet burner with normal burner.

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of a propane jet burner and the potential advantages and disadvantages of using it. The burner is rated higher in BTU than a regular burner and is designed for high pressure use. The difference between the two types of burners was not clear, but it was suggested that the jet burner may use oxygen or nitrous oxide injection into the propane feed. The conversation also mentioned that the burner comes with a 20-psi regulator and can be seen burning on YouTube. Some individuals have built their own jet burners for foundry experiments and have found that it is very powerful but uses a lot of propane. The conversation concluded with mention of a similar kerosene compressed air burner used in Hong Kong, but it is
yungman
I am looking at some propane jet burner. They rated higher BTU than the regular burner. What is the difference between them and the advantage and disadvantage?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of such a thing. Going strictly by the name, I suspect that it refers to oxygen or nitrous oxide injection into the propane feed. I'll try to find some info, but it won't be soon.

I see...
Hold off on the ordering until someone more knowledgeable chirps up. It sounds like creative advertising to me. There are only so many BTU's available from burning propane (or any other fuel), and I don't know what that figure is. I could look it up, but I'm really enjoying my last couple of dozen beers and am not so inclined right now. If this thing burns hotter, it must process more fuel/second than a normal portable cooker. I don't know whether or not the included 20-psi regulator is standard for such devices, or higher, but I'm nearly willing to bet that the jets are over-sized.

Last edited:
yungman said:
This is what I refer to:

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1324806036&sr=8-8

I tried looking up in the company site and surfed around, I can't find the theory of operation.

It is a high pressure jet burner. It should come with the correct adjustable pressure regulator.

You can see them burning on youtube. If you want to heat a wide pan that is the way to go. They do require their own separate propane tank.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=25&...w.,cf.osb&fp=dc9072f4d1d34f4c&biw=960&bih=412

Danger said:
I see...
Hold off on the ordering until someone more knowledgeable chirps up. It sounds like creative advertising to me. There are only so many BTU's available from burning propane (or any other fuel), and I don't know what that figure is. I could look it up, but I'm really enjoying my last couple of dozen beers and am not so inclined right now. If this thing burns hotter, it must process more fuel/second than a normal portable cooker. I don't know whether or not the included 20-psi regulator is standard for such devices, or higher, but I'm nearly willing to bet that the jets are over-sized.

I save my drinking for tonight, ignore me if I post anything after 5pm today!:rofl: :rofl:.

Yes they do come with 20psi regulator.

Thanks for clarifying, Edward.
All in all, I think that I'll stick with thermite. I can make it for free at home from neighbourhood kids' bicycles and the rust from my garden tools. :devil:

Danger said:
Thanks for clarifying, Edward.
All in all, I think that I'll stick with thermite. I can make it for free at home from neighbourhood kids' bicycles and the rust from my garden tools. :devil:

:rofl::rofl:

A 20 psi regulator? :eek:

Most "domestic" propane equipment uses about 10 inches water gauge = about 0.4 psi!

my guess is the higher pressure is why they call it a jet burner.

my neighbor and i built one for our foundry experiment - a small orifice blowing into the end of a short pipe, pipe is drilled with lots of slanted holes for air induction.

makes a roar like jet engine and can melt a pot of brass in just a couple minutes.
uses lots of propane though.

@ danger : thermite --- aluminum ?

AlephZero said:
A 20 psi regulator? :eek:

Most "domestic" propane equipment uses about 10 inches water gauge = about 0.4 psi!

We are talking about big burners here. Even the one I have is 60,000 BTU. To me, it is not even strong enough, I have to split the food into 3 small portion to cook. The normal 10 inches water regulator won't even activate the propane tank. It just can not built up enough pressure to open the check valve in the tank. That was my major problem before that I kept buying those low pressure regulator in OSH, Homd Depot and Lowes. I had to go to a specialized store to buy the red color regulator for my burner, and that was only 10psi. It is barely strong enough to cook my food. I notice after half a turn of the control of my burner, the flame maxed out and further turning the control won't get the flame stronger. This implies the 10psi regulator has maxed out. I am planning to order a 20psi on Amazon soon.

When you cook Chinese food, the stove is everything. You don't get "wok chi" or "pan taste" with a wimpy stove. With a strong stove, you make the food catch on fire to get the pan taste.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
my guess is the higher pressure is why they call it a jet burner.

my neighbor and i built one for our foundry experiment - a small orifice blowing into the end of a short pipe, pipe is drilled with lots of slanted holes for air induction.

makes a roar like jet engine and can melt a pot of brass in just a couple minutes.
uses lots of propane though.

@ danger : thermite --- aluminum ?

I remember when I was very young and was in Hong Kong, we used a kerosene compressed air burner similar to jet burner. You need to put alcohol at the head and light it up to heat it up first, then you turn it on and you get like the jet burner with loud roaring sound. You put a screw driver tip into the flame and it get red right away. I guess they outlaw this here. Or else, I don't mind getting one of those.

yungman said:
We are talking about big burners here. Even the one I have is 60,000 BTU. To me, it is not even strong enough, I have to split the food into 3 small portion to cook.

:bugeye: Just how the hell many cows do you cook at one time, anyhow?! Bloody 'ell! Although I have a couple of BBQ's with 20# tanks, I don't even fire them up. Barely cracking the valve on my 400 gm brazing torch for 30 seconds per side is perfect for a 12 oz steak.

Jim, I suspect that I would be in violation of PF guidelines if I were to say more about exploding bicycles... :uhh:

Danger said:
:bugeye: Just how the hell many cows do you cook at one time, anyhow?! Bloody 'ell! Although I have a couple of BBQ's with 20# tanks, I don't even fire them up. Barely cracking the valve on my 400 gm brazing torch for 30 seconds per side is perfect for a 12 oz steak.

Jim, I suspect that I would be in violation of PF guidelines if I were to say more about exploding bicycles... :uhh:

That's the biggest secret...well not so secret of Chinese cooking! If you peek into the kitchen of a good Chinese restaurant when they cook, you'll see what I meant.

That's the reason even if you want to order two orders of the same dish in Chinese restaurant, do not...repeat do not order at the same time. Order one after the other because they get lazy and cook double portion and it don't taste the same.

1. What is the main difference between a propane jet burner and a normal burner?

The main difference between a propane jet burner and a normal burner is the source of fuel. Propane jet burners use propane gas as a fuel source, while normal burners typically use electricity, natural gas, or other types of fuel.

2. Which type of burner is more efficient?

Propane jet burners are generally more efficient than normal burners. This is because propane gas has a higher heat output and burns more cleanly, resulting in less waste and higher heating efficiency.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using a propane jet burner?

Propane jet burners are generally safe to use, but it is important to follow safety guidelines and precautions when using any type of burner. It is important to properly install and maintain the burner, and to follow all safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.

4. Can a normal burner be converted to use propane gas?

In most cases, it is not possible to convert a normal burner to use propane gas. Converting a burner to use a different type of fuel can be dangerous and is not recommended. It is best to purchase a propane jet burner if you wish to use propane gas as a fuel source.

5. Which type of burner is more suitable for outdoor use?

Both propane jet burners and normal burners can be used outdoors, but propane jet burners are more commonly used for outdoor cooking and heating due to their portability and high heat output. Normal burners may be better suited for indoor use, as they require a fuel source such as electricity or natural gas.