What will happen to Hostess and its beloved products?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, Hostess has filed for bankruptcy, but people will still be able to get their Twinkie fix.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Fortunately, no. Twinkies junkies will still get their fix, at least for now, even though Hostess has filed for bankruptcy:

Twinkies will keep coming despite bankruptcy

I was actually more of a fan of Hostess Cupcakes than Twinkies, but I haven't eaten either in a long time. My current junk-food addiction is Cheetos. :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if they went bankrupt people would save them just to see how long they last. Someone should try irradiating one and putting it in air-tight container to get into the Guinness Book of Records for the oldest surviving Twinkie. Who knows, some Twinkies could outlast humanity.

I never knew that Hostess cupcakes have been around so long.

[introduced in] 1919
Hostess CupCakes® are the best selling snack cakes in history. It wasn’t until over 30 years later that baker Doc Rice added the signature 7 squiggles and vanilla-crème filling. Varieties now include Golden, Orange and Strawberry.Throughout the '60s and '70s Captain Cupcake was the mascot shown on the Hostess CupCake packaging, but today Hostess uses a character named 'Curly.
http://www.hostessbrands.com/Brands/Hostess.aspx

I haven't had a Twinkie or anything else Hostess in a long time. I was mostly a HoHo fan...and Devil Dogs, but I can't remember if they were made by Hostess or not.

I knew it was a matter of time before someone posted this, thanks JT, my only thoughts about Hostess is they made treats that brings back good childhood memories, sad to see them disappear into oblivion. I still have my memories though.

Rhody... :frown:

The only thing made by hostess that I eat is their orange cupcakes, which are almost impossible to find. Whenever I find them, I buy the entire stock, which is usually only 2 packs. :frown: I even have a certain way they must be eaten. These are not to be taken lightly.

jtbell said:
... Hostess has filed for bankruptcy ...
I'm shocked! What has the world come to that an American manufacturer of sugary treats might go out of business? Is nothing sacred?

Not long ago, the production of the vaunted (but, apparently not that much) Brach's A&W root beer barrel was stopped. Being somewhat addicted to said treats, I was most distressed by their discontinuance.

And now the possibility that the cream-filled (chocolate) Hostess cupcake might become an extinct species. (I prefer them to Twinkies -- apparently having been persuaded by the advertising spiel of Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody.) This is a bad thing.

Last edited:
I forgot the Hostess Suzy Q (chocolate version). Perhaps the greatest sugary snack ever invented, and my current favorite inducer of adult onset diabetes. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

Ivan Seeking said:
I never knew that Hostess cupcakes have been around so long.

http://www.hostessbrands.com/Brands/Hostess.aspx

I'm sure the original Hostess cupcakes have also been around for that long. Those things never get stale. :D

Moonbear said:
I haven't had a Twinkie or anything else Hostess in a long time. I was mostly a HoHo fan...and Devil Dogs, but I can't remember if they were made by Hostess or not.

Devil Dogs are made by Drake, which is owned by Hostess now.

I never understood why some people favored Ho-Hos over Ding-Dongs and vice versa.

Defense lawyers would never let Twinkies disappear.

Twinkies have a shelf life of about 30 days, but are typically sold in under 7 days.

NOOOOOO, once a year I hunt for their orange cupcakes. Life will end if those go off the market. :cry:

Their Cupcakes were delicious, but about five to ten minutes after consuming them I always started hating myself.

FreeMitya said:
Their Cupcakes were delicious, but about five to ten minutes after consuming them I always started hating myself.

Yep. They are good, but make me feel...bleh...

I will miss you, Raspberry Zingers.

Evo said:
The only thing made by hostess that I eat is their orange cupcakes, which are almost impossible to find. Whenever I find them, I buy the entire stock, which is usually only 2 packs. :frown: I even have a certain way they must be eaten. These are not to be taken lightly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029TISNG/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Be sure to use the amazon sponser so PF gets credit!

I may have to buy some for myself, they [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were the best thing hostess [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] had to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Buy a bag of twinkies and save them for 50 years. Could be worth something.

They'll probably still be edible, too!

Charmar said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029TISNG/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Be sure to use the amazon sponser so PF gets credit!

I may have to buy some for myself, they [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were the best thing hostess [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] had to offer.
GASP! MUST..BUY..CUPCAKES!

Thanks you!

I saw a box like this at the store the other day, but they were strawberry.

What's a twinky? And why do they make you guilty and seem to last forever?

tahayassen said:

They're this strange chemical concoction that rises into a sponge like form after baking. You can sit on them for an entire car trip from Nacogdoches, Texas to Nacogdoches, Louisiana and at the end of the trip, they'll spring right back into their original shape - and still taste great, too, which is even more surprising!

jtbell said:
Maybe at lunch I'll check out a couple of the convenience stores near campus and see if I can find some Cupcakes or Twinkies.

Well, I tried. I visited four different stores and came up empty-handed. Either Hostess's distribution had dwindled because of the strike, or they were never a strong player in this market to begin with. Little Debbie apparently dominates the South. I also saw a Dolly Madison rack.

I've always liked Little Debbie better. But I try not to eat any of that stuff anymore. Children need to go back to eating fruit for dessert.

I've never been able to eat twinkies, they make me vomit. That mucous-like white goop in the middle always gagged me. I have, to this day. never been able to eat an entire twinkie. May they burn in hell, can't stand them.

I like the orange cupcakes, but when I reach that white goop, I scrape it into the trash and remove that tasteless white squiggle on top and eat what's left.

tahayassen said:

Sugar.

Evo said:
I've never been able to eat twinkies, they make me vomit. That viscous white goop in the middle always gagged me. I have, to this day. never been able to eat an entire twinkie. May they burn in hell, can't stand them.

That's like me with fruit baked into pastries (especially pie).

FreeMitya said:
That's like me with fruit baked into pastries (especially pie).
Yeah, I can see that, except blackberry cobbler. MMMMMMMMMM, blackberries, lemon juice, a sprinkle of sugar, flaky crust.

FreeMitya said:
Sugar.

That can't be right. Bananas have plenty of sugar, and whenever I buy them, they're brown by the time I get home.

leroyjenkens said:
That can't be right. Bananas have plenty of sugar, and whenever I buy them, they're brown by the time I get home.

Their durability obviously has to do with other ingredients as well, but it's not as if a new bag of pure sugar is going to go bad any time soon (at least, not in my experience).

http://sciencefocus.com/qa/how-does-sugar-act-preservative

If you want a source with references:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/516259-the-use-of-salt-sugar-as-food-preservatives/

Refined sugar is thought to have originated in India approximately 2,500 years ago. Its use is described in a medical text nearly that old. This "sweet salt" did not become inexpensive and widespread until the 18th century, when Europeans planted sugar cane in quantity throughout their new tropical colonies. Like salt, sugar preserves foods by osmosis. If you've ever watched a bowl of strawberries becoming juicy under the influence of a spoonful of sugar, you've seen the effect in action.
I thought it would also be worth mentioning that in a banana that weighs 118 g, 14 g of that weight is sugar.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-bananas-i9040 [Broken]

In a Twinkie that weighs 42.5 g, 18 g of that weight is sugar. There is, gram for gram, much more sugar in a Twinkie.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-hostess-twinkies-i113361 [Broken]

<h2>1. Will Hostess go out of business?</h2><p>It is possible that Hostess may go out of business, as the company has recently filed for bankruptcy. However, there are also potential buyers interested in purchasing the company, so it is uncertain at this time.</p><h2>2. What will happen to Hostess products?</h2><p>If Hostess does go out of business, its products will likely no longer be produced. However, if the company is purchased by another entity, the products may continue to be available under new ownership.</p><h2>3. Will Hostess products still be safe to consume?</h2><p>If Hostess continues to produce products, they will still have to meet safety and quality standards set by the FDA. However, if the company goes out of business, the safety of its products may be uncertain.</p><h2>4. Will Hostess change its recipes or ingredients?</h2><p>If Hostess is purchased by another company, it is possible that they may change the recipes or ingredients of the products. However, if Hostess continues to operate independently, it is unlikely that there will be any major changes to the recipes.</p><h2>5. What will happen to Hostess employees?</h2><p>If Hostess goes out of business, its employees may lose their jobs. However, if the company is purchased by another entity, the employees may have the opportunity to continue working under new ownership.</p>

1. Will Hostess go out of business?

It is possible that Hostess may go out of business, as the company has recently filed for bankruptcy. However, there are also potential buyers interested in purchasing the company, so it is uncertain at this time.

2. What will happen to Hostess products?

If Hostess does go out of business, its products will likely no longer be produced. However, if the company is purchased by another entity, the products may continue to be available under new ownership.

3. Will Hostess products still be safe to consume?

If Hostess continues to produce products, they will still have to meet safety and quality standards set by the FDA. However, if the company goes out of business, the safety of its products may be uncertain.

4. Will Hostess change its recipes or ingredients?

If Hostess is purchased by another company, it is possible that they may change the recipes or ingredients of the products. However, if Hostess continues to operate independently, it is unlikely that there will be any major changes to the recipes.

5. What will happen to Hostess employees?

If Hostess goes out of business, its employees may lose their jobs. However, if the company is purchased by another entity, the employees may have the opportunity to continue working under new ownership.