Can Quantum Mechanics Explain True Randomness?

In summary: And, as we have learned, a quantum system can be in a lot of different states!Randomness and causality are not really opposed to each other. Perhaps randomness and determinacy are, but not really causality. Things can be random and still cause other things to happen. Can you explain in more detail what you mean?When you say "things can be random and still cause other things to happen", can you give an example?
jadrian
not to be impolite, but i truly view randomness in reality as something you can trick your kids into accepting along with santa, the tooth fairy etc.

when compared to causality the idea of true randomness existing in reality seems incredibly weak to me.

is there any simple logic which can reconcile the two?

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you calling the foundations of quantum theory incredibly weak?

Randomness and causality are not really opposed to each other. Perhaps randomness and determinacy are, but not really causality. Things can be random and still cause other things to happen. Can you explain in more detail what you mean?

Matterwave said:
Are you calling the foundations of quantum theory incredibly weak?

Randomness and causality are not really opposed to each other. Perhaps randomness and determinacy are, but not really causality. Things can be random and still cause other things to happen. Can you explain in more detail what you mean?

i don't think you followed. random, is what we call something when we have no idea of its cause. so by your example that things can be random and still cause other things to happen, you will ultimately have to trace it back to its original cause which by randomness has no cause, so all following events will be random.

also i don't know how you can distinguish causality from determinism. determinism is a direct result of causality.

jadrian,

You could have some insight by some readings about "random number generators" (rng).
You have very likely used -knowinggly or not- a random number generator.

An rng follows a perfectly deterministic process.
However, you might not know what this process (algorithm) is.
Furthermore, if you knew the algorithm you might still not be able to predict the result of the rng, simply because you may lack information about the initial value or the key that was used, or anything else.

In summary, you will quickly realize that randomness can often be related to a lack of information. This lack of information should not be seen as a failure of science. Nor should it be seen as a cheap story to hide difficulties. Recognizing properly the lack of information and its role in our analysis of the world is, on the contrary, I believe, a pillar of science.

I would even not be surprised that the whole quantum mechanics could also be approached in this way. It has already be hypothesed that the "wave function" is not a "real" physical object, but instead a mix of physical reality and of the information we have on this reality.

Only kids may learn more on this, for they have less prejudices.

lalbatros said:
jadrian,

You could have some insight by some readings about "random number generators" (rng).
You have very likely used -knowinggly or not- a random number generator.

An rng follows a perfectly deterministic process.
However, you might not know what this process (algorithm) is.
Furthermore, if you knew the algorithm you might still not be able to predict the result of the rng, simply because you may lack information about the initial value or the key that was used, or anything else.

In summary, you will quickly realize that randomness can often be related to a lack of information. This lack of information should not be seen as a failure of science. Nor should it be seen as a cheap story to hide difficulties. Recognizing properly the lack of information and its role in our analysis of the world is, on the contrary, I believe, a pillar of science.

I would even not be surprised that the whole quantum mechanics could also be approached in this way. It has already be hypothesed that the "wave function" is not a "real" physical object, but instead a mix of physical reality and of the information we have on this reality.

Only kids may learn more on this, for they have less prejudices.

what you just said doesn't disagree with any of my beliefs. could you explain ur lastparagraph further tho, its interesting.

Quantum Information is a hot topic today, as you know.
There are hundreds of books and maybe millions of paper published on this topic.
You may easily find references on Amazon that could suit your mindset.

Do not forget to read about Bell's theorem and Alain Aspect experiment.
This might shake deeply your POV on randomness, as these imply that quantum randomness cannot be reproduced by a classic system (and therefore also not by a "classic' rng).

Quantum computing may look like a 'technical application' of quantum mechanics.
I think it is much more than that.
I strongly believe that this field will come with new deep insight in physics and into the understanding of "randomness". After all, states of a "quantum computer" are just states of a quantum system.

1. How can randomness exist if everything is determined by cause and effect?

Randomness refers to events or outcomes that are unpredictable and cannot be fully explained by any known factors. While causality may govern many aspects of the universe, there are still elements that are inherently random and cannot be predicted or controlled.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of randomness?

Yes, there are many examples in science where randomness plays a role. For instance, in quantum mechanics, particles can behave in unpredictable ways and their exact position or behavior cannot be determined with certainty. Additionally, in genetics, mutations and variations occur randomly and contribute to the diversity of life.

3. How does randomness interact with causality in the natural world?

Random events can still occur within the framework of causality. While the cause of the event may not be known or fully understood, it still follows the laws of causality. For example, a coin toss may appear to be random, but it is still governed by the laws of physics and the motion of the coin.

4. Can randomness be beneficial or harmful?

Randomness can have both positive and negative effects. In some cases, it can lead to innovation, creativity, and diversity. However, it can also result in chaos and unpredictability, which can be harmful in certain situations. Overall, the role of randomness in the natural world is complex and can have varying impacts.

5. How do scientists study and understand randomness?

Scientists use statistical methods and probability theory to analyze and make sense of random events. They also conduct experiments and observations to gather data and test theories about randomness. While it may be difficult to fully explain or understand randomness, scientific methods can help us to better understand its role in the natural world.