Word problem involving function expression

In summary, the cable's surface area diminishes at a rate of 1250 in^2/year due to corrosion. This leads to a change in diameter of -ΔA=πL((d+Δd)-d). By converting the given length of 300 feet into 3600 inches, the change in diameter after t years can be calculated as -\frac{1250}{3600π}=Δd.
mindauggas

Homework Statement

A 300-foot-long cable, originally of diameter 5 inches, is submerged in seawater. Because of corrosion, the
surface area of the cable diminishes at the rate of 1250 in 2 /year. Express the diameter d of the cable as a
function of time t (in years).

Homework Equations

C=π*d

Surface area=C*length (in inches)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand (I hope correctly) that the form of the equation has to be

[itex]d=initial value - the rate of deminution[/itex] , hence

[itex]d=5 - the rate of diminution[/itex]

How do I construct the formula for the rate of diminution?

[itex]\frac{πd*l}{1250*t}[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface area of the cable is [itex]\pi d h[/itex] and are given that h=300 and does not change so [itex]A= 300\pi d[/itex] If we let [itex]\Delta d[/itex] be the change in diameter in one year, then the change in surface are is [itex]\Delta A= 300\pi (d+ \Delta d)- 300\pi d= 300\pi\delta d= -625[/itex].
So [itex]\Delta d= \frac{6}{12\pi}[/itex].

Now, what will the diameter be after t years?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The surface area of the cable is [itex]\pi d h[/itex] and are given that h=300 and does not change so [itex]A= 300\pi d[/itex] If we let [itex]\Delta d[/itex] be the change in diameter in one year, then the change in surface are is [itex]\Delta A= 300\pi (d+ \Delta d)- 300\pi d= 300\pi\delta d= -625[/itex].
So [itex]\Delta d= \frac{6}{12\pi}[/itex].

Now, what will the diameter be after t years?

Before trying to answer your question, could you explain the formula: [itex]\Delta A= 300\pi (d+ \Delta d)- 300\pi d= 300\pi\delta d= -625[/itex]

Namely: why do you add [itex]\Delta d[/itex]? And what is this business with " - 300\pi d= 300\pi\delta d= -625 " ... how did you construct this? I guess that you use a (pseudo-) difference quotient and taking a limit so the delta becomes the small delta? But I have to remind you that it is for a reason that I wrote this problem in pre-calculus section.

Last edited:
I still need a helping hand here ... can someone help?

Ok, so thus far I have discerned.

(1) We assume that only d changes because of the corrosion, therefore

(2) ΔA is due only to Δd.

(3) We know ΔA's numeric value, therefore it is useful to express it in terms of what is known e. g. [itex]ΔA=πΔdL[/itex] (L is lenght). This is true since only d contributes to the changing A by (1).

(4) Since [itex]A=πdL[/itex] we get

(5) [itex]A-ΔA=πdL-πΔdL[/itex] (The reason why we have to do it is unclear to me, I can not give sufficient grounds for it, the only one is that it is the only possible way to achieve the result of getting d). But this is the same as:

(6) [itex]-ΔA=πdL+πΔdL-A[/itex] This is

(7) [itex]-ΔA=πL(d+Δd)-A[/itex]

(8) [itex]-ΔA=πL(d+Δd)-πLd[/itex]

(9) [itex]-ΔA=πL((d+Δd)-d)[/itex]

(10) Now I convert 300 ft into 3600 inches and get

(11) [itex]-\frac{1250}{3600π}=Δd[/itex]

Why is this negative? Is the procedure correct?

Sorry there was a mistake in the problem statement. The part: "cable diminishes at the rate of 1250 in 2 /year" should be: "cable diminishes at the rate of 1250 in^2/year" (in^2 - added). That is one of the reasons of misunderstanding.

1. What is a function expression?

A function expression is a type of mathematical equation that uses variables and operations to represent a relationship between two or more quantities. It is often used to model real-world situations and can be written in a variety of ways, such as using mathematical notation or programming language syntax.

2. How is a function expression different from a regular equation?

A function expression is different from a regular equation in that it includes a variable that represents an unknown quantity. This allows the equation to be used to solve for different values of the variable, making it more versatile and applicable to a variety of situations.

3. What are the key components of a function expression?

The key components of a function expression are the variable, the mathematical operations used to manipulate the variable, and any constants or other terms that are part of the equation. These components work together to represent the relationship between the variables in the function.

4. How are function expressions used to solve word problems?

Function expressions are used to solve word problems by representing the given information and relationships in a mathematical form. This allows the problem to be solved using algebraic techniques, such as substitution or solving systems of equations, to find the unknown values.

5. Can a function expression be used to model any type of real-world situation?

Yes, a function expression can be used to model a wide variety of real-world situations, from simple ones like calculating the cost of a purchase with sales tax, to more complex ones like predicting the growth of a population over time. As long as the situation can be described using variables and mathematical operations, a function expression can be used to model it.