Theory behind Integral Test with Riemann Sums

In summary: Can somebody explain to me where the idea for doing the Riemann sums this way came from? The Attempt at a SolutionThe first method uses circumscribed rectangles because the function f(x) is positive, decreasing, and continuous. This makes sense because it would be easier to see where the sum should go if the rectangles were circumscribed. The second method starts off the riemann sums at n = 0 and makes them all inscribed rectangles. This is done because the function f(x) is negative, increasing, and discontinuous at the point where the riemann sum starts. So this method is better because it captures the change in the function better.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

I've seen two methods that prove the integral test for convergence, but I fear they contradict each other. Each method uses an improper integral where the function f(x) is positive, decreasing, and continuous and f(x) = an. What confuses me is one method starts off the riemann sums at n = 1 and makes them all circumscribed rectangles - which make sense to me. The other method starts off the riemann sums at n = 0 and makes them all inscribed rectangles. Can anybody explain to me why each one of these work? Is one right and the other one wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've reviewed riemann sums in general, but I'm confused as to why two different methods are used in the theory behind the integral test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Just fixed the title

They prove opposite parts of the integral test. When you do a left Riemann sum you get a Riemann sum which overestimates the area - so if the integral diverges (infinite area), the Riemann sum must diverge as well. And if the Riemann sum converges (finite area under the rectangles) the integral must converge as well

On the other hand, if you do a right Riemann sum you get an underestimate for the area under the graph of the function. So if the integral converges (finite area under the graph) you must have a finite Riemann sum as well. And if the Riemann sum diverges, the integral diverges as well.

Since both Riemann sums are the exact same except for the first term of the series, this shows that the series and the integral either both diverge or both converge, you can't have one do one and one do the other

Office_Shredder said:
They prove opposite parts of the integral test. When you do a left Riemann sum you get a Riemann sum which overestimates the area - so if the integral diverges (infinite area), the Riemann sum must diverge as well. And if the Riemann sum converges (finite area under the rectangles) the integral must converge as well

On the other hand, if you do a right Riemann sum you get an underestimate for the area under the graph of the function. So if the integral converges (finite area under the graph) you must have a finite Riemann sum as well. And if the Riemann sum diverges, the integral diverges as well.

Since both Riemann sums are the exact same except for the first term of the series, this shows that the series and the integral either both diverge or both converge, you can't have one do one and one do the other

I see what you mean, but the two sequences I stated above both start off at n = 1. I understand the idea of shifting and changing the index, but the index stays the same. One source makes the rectangles circumscribed at n = 1 whereas the other makes them inscribed at n = 1. That's pretty much what confuses me.

What is the integral test with Riemann sums?

The integral test with Riemann sums is a method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas. This method is based on the concept of the Riemann integral, which is a way of calculating the area under a curve by taking the limit of the sum of the areas of the rectangles as the width of the rectangles approaches zero.

How is the integral test with Riemann sums used?

The integral test with Riemann sums is used to solve problems in calculus, such as finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as work, force, and pressure.

What is the difference between Riemann sums and the integral test?

The main difference between Riemann sums and the integral test is that Riemann sums approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles, while the integral test uses the concept of the Riemann integral to calculate the exact area under a curve. Riemann sums are an approximation method, while the integral test is a precise calculation method.

What are the limitations of the integral test with Riemann sums?

The integral test with Riemann sums has some limitations. It can only be used to approximate the area under a curve of a continuous function. It also requires a lot of calculations and can be time-consuming. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of rectangles used, so a large number of rectangles may be needed for a more accurate result.

How is the integral test with Riemann sums related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The integral test with Riemann sums is related to the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. The integral test uses this concept to calculate the area under a curve by approximating it with smaller rectangles and taking the limit as the width of the rectangles approaches zero.