Extremely upset - Please help.

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is extremely upset and seeking help due to their struggles with math, which have been exacerbated by attending a computerized charter school. They have a history of depression and a difficult time with comprehension, but have a strong understanding of advanced math concepts. They have decided to attend a community college to graduate faster, but their diagnostic test results have placed them in a pre-algebra class, causing disappointment and frustration. They are asking for advice and questioning the validity of the diagnostic test.
QuantumTheory
Extremely upset -- Please help.

Well what can I say, I really do enjoy math. I'm now 16 (Will be 17 this feb 13th) , but when I was a freshmen in high school I took pre-algebra.

I then as a sophmore took algebra, and then as a junior I took more of algebra I. After that, my parents moved me to another school. A charter school. A computerized school. I didn't know it at the time; but this would be one of the worst decisions to be made.

I really am intelligent, but when I was born I weighted only 1 lb 15 oz. I was three months premature. Physically, I came out ok. But emotionally is another thing. I've had depression my whole life. Not a big deal, I'm getting over it .I do take meds, but that's not the point.

The point is, I have extreme problems with comprehension. I'm a slow learner. And I'm visual; it's quite hard for me to just read something and then be able to do a math problem based off of what I just read. So, at this computerized school really has had a negative effect on me. I finished geometry, and I'm done with math in this charter school.

So I decided in order for me to graduate faster, I was going to go to a community colleage. Also please let me note I understand the concepts of calculus, algebra (I can do it easy) as well as basic trigonmetry. I have troubles actually doing calculus since I have not taken any classes on factoring polynomals yet.

I loved math so much that, I decided instead of taking a "fun class", I would take a math class. And to my unfortunate surprise, I had to take a diagnostic test at the colleage that was ON A COMPUTER. Ughh.

I've also taught arimetic and algebra at school, just for more school credits.

Anyway, I scored only into a pre-algebra class. What happened? Well, there was only 10 problems on the test. The test had some polynomial factoring at the end, I know I got that wrong. But I just was so nervous on the arimetic. They were word problems. Now usually I do great on these, but for some reason I didn't. I remember clearly one of the problems, and myself having a really hard time comprehending what they mean't:

Theres a square, call it ABCD. There is a line going perpendicular (90 degree angle) half way though the square. They were asking what is the ratio of the line to the square?
2 answers stood out in my mind:
Either A) 1/4
Or B) 1/2

I just couldn't comprehend it. My mind shut down. It was an enormous task, but so simple.

If the line is half way though the square, and it has its own segments AE, then the line is a ratio of 1/2 of the square since its radius length is 1/2 of that of the square?

In the end, I only qualified for pre algebra. All that work, all that studying, self motivation, and I get this. I didn't even bother signing up for it; it would be an embarassment to me.

I need some help..any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I need some help..any advice?

Can you still graduate faster? When will you graduate?

That diagnostic test is just BS in my opinion. I don't see how you can test someone's math level using just 10 questions.

I wish students were taught how to have peace of mind and how to be happy... I used to worry so much about tests myself. There is so much pressure to compete. Somebody ends up losing. Anyway... that's a discussion for another thread...

Just do your best... and the rest is out of your control. Your mind shut down... then it shuts down... that happens. It happened to me a lot when I was in school. Don't take the results of any test too seriously. Especially if you're a unique learner.

Hang in there.

Dear friend, I can hear the frustration and disappointment in your words and I am truly sorry for what you are going through. It sounds like you have a passion for math and a strong desire to learn, but are struggling with comprehension and the pressure of standardized tests. I want you to know that you are not alone in this struggle and there is help available for you.

First of all, it's important to remember that your worth and intelligence are not defined by a test score or a label. You are so much more than that and you have already accomplished so much in your academic journey. Don't let one test or one school discourage you from pursuing your passion for math.

Secondly, I would highly recommend seeking out a tutor or mentor who can work with you one-on-one to help you with comprehension and test-taking strategies. Sometimes a different approach or perspective can make all the difference in understanding a concept.

Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to your teachers and explain your struggles with comprehension and standardized tests. They may be able to provide accommodations or extra support to help you succeed.

Most importantly, don't give up on yourself. You have a strong determination and drive to learn and that will take you far in life. Keep pushing forward and know that there are people out there who believe in you and want to see you succeed. You are not alone and you can overcome this challenge. Keep your head up and keep pursuing your passion for math. You've got this.

1. How do I cope with extreme upset?

There are a few ways to cope with extreme upset. One approach is to practice mindfulness and focus on your breathing. Another is to try to identify the root cause of your upset and address it directly. Additionally, seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist can be helpful.

2. What are some physical symptoms of extreme upset?

Physical symptoms of extreme upset can include rapid heart rate, shallow breathing, muscle tension, and stomach discomfort. You may also experience headaches, fatigue, or changes in appetite and sleep patterns.

3. Is it normal to feel extremely upset for no apparent reason?

Feeling extremely upset for no apparent reason can be a sign of underlying mental health issues, such as anxiety or depression. It is important to seek help from a professional if these feelings persist and begin to interfere with your daily life.

4. How can I support someone who is extremely upset?

If someone you know is extremely upset, the best thing you can do is listen to them without judgment and offer your support. Let them know that you are there for them and encourage them to seek professional help if needed.

5. Can extreme upset have long-term effects on mental health?

Yes, extreme upset can have long-term effects on mental health if not properly addressed and managed. It can lead to chronic stress, anxiety, and other mental health disorders. Seeking help and finding healthy coping mechanisms is crucial in preventing long-term effects.