Why is Microsoft being sued over their included software?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary, people are suing Microsoft over their included software, such as Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, in their operating system. Some believe this is due to stubborn anti-Microsoft bias, while others see it as a way to fight back against Microsoft's monopolization. Despite the lawsuits, Microsoft has the right to include their own software in their operating system, and removing it would be like asking a car seller to remove certain features from their car.
aychamo
Why are people suing Microsoft over their included software? Like this slashdot article:

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/02/13/1513223.shtml?tid=201

Why are people/countries/whatever allowed to sue Microsoft and make them not include certain software with their OS? Why is it the Media Player, or even IE? Will it be the calculator next?

I don't see the problem with Windows included IE, when I can, without a problem, load IE and download Firefox and never use IE again.

What's the deal exactly with this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
aychamo said:
Why are people suing Microsoft over their included software? Like this slashdot article:

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/02/13/1513223.shtml?tid=201

Why are people/countries/whatever allowed to sue Microsoft and make them not include certain software with their OS? Why is it the Media Player, or even IE? Will it be the calculator next?

I don't see the problem with Windows included IE, when I can, without a problem, load IE and download Firefox and never use IE again.

What's the deal exactly with this?

It's stubborn anti-Microsoft bigotry. Mostly, it's from the Linux/FOSS side. I choose to ignore it, and move on about my business.

Because they can...

I know, it doesn't make sense, but people are just too lazy/stupid to switch operating systems, so this is what you get.

What if MS decided to fight back, or just stop all support/software sales in Europe?

They'd lose money.
The initial idea (of suing) looks to me really dumb.Nobody is pushing them to buy Ms software...If they do it,then they're willing to pay for whatever Ms puts in that package,good or wrong.They can sue afterwards,if the product is doesn't work,or something like that...

Daniel.

It's a marketing thing.

Think about it: you have a revolutionary new idea for a program, but so does Bob. You PAY computer makin- people to include your program with their computer. Are you a moron? NO! Because then EVERYONE has YOUR program for free! No one has Bob's program! No one wants to pay for support for BOB'S program, no one wants upgrades to BOB'S program! You've effectively locked him out of the market! No one gets his because of compatability issues (you don't make yours compatible with his) etc etc... NO ONE can get into the business without a SIGNIFICANTLY better program.

It's all economics. It's not exactly fair... I don't know about lawsuits though.

I aggree with Alkatran, M$ are monopolising, this is a way for people to fight back... Not everyone is an expert in Computers and just use what is installed on there new pc, therefore developers feel shut out becuase if they don't have a deal with M$ they have no way (less chance) of getting there product out there... M$ have the key to distrubute software via including it in there OS... This isn't healthy is it?

Anyway most of these lawsuits 'make' lawers and judges look at the way this business is legisated, and perhaps if we are lucky make healthy changes to these legisations, for us, the consumer

Are u claiming that those customers have no other option when buying a PC,than using software (possbly already installed on it) from MS...?I hope not.I find those lawsuits really dumb and just prove how narrow-minded some people can be...

Daniel.

Are u claiming that those customers have no other option when buying a PC,than using software (possbly already installed on it) from MS...?I hope not.I find those lawsuits really dumb and just prove how narrow-minded some people can be...

it's not a question of whether they have options, it's a question of whether or not they are informed of the options. It's true, most people are not power users and have little or no idea of the options. If Apple and Microsoft's positions were reversed, Apple would be facing the same types of lawsuits that MS are now facing and for probably the same reasons.

While the lawsuits may look "dumb" at first glance, if you stand back and look at the big picture, they are a form of regulation. Even if the plaintiffs don't win the cases, the lawsuit in itself forces the Microsofts of this world to think more carefully about their marketing and ethics, whether they want to or not.

Even if MS modularized their OS to the point where you could walk into a store and choose the Windows basic module and then add all the different vendor's stuff on top of it, there would still be someone paying under the counter for the retailer to plug one product over another regardless of whether it is a better product or not.
That is the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Wardw said:
it's not a question of whether they have options, it's a question of whether or not they are informed of the options. It's true, most people are not power users and have little or no idea of the options. If Apple and Microsoft's positions were reversed, Apple would be facing the same types of lawsuits that MS are now facing and for probably the same reasons.

While the lawsuits may look "dumb" at first glance, if you stand back and look at the big picture, they are a form of regulation. Even if the plaintiffs don't win the cases, the lawsuit in itself forces the Microsofts of this world to think more carefully about their marketing and ethics, whether they want to or not.

Even if MS modularized their OS to the point where you could walk into a store and choose the Windows basic module and then add all the different vendor's stuff on top of it, there would still be someone paying under the counter for the retailer to plug one product over another regardless of whether it is a better product or not.

It is not a question of whether what Microsoft is doing is decreasing the popularity of the other products or not.

Windows BELONGS to Microsoft. MICROSOFT created it, spent time, effort and money improving it. They have a right to include what they want in it.

Asking Microsoft to remove IE or MediaPlayer is like asking a car seller to remove the A/C of the car as it is hurting other little car AC companies who cannot equal quality and productivity, therefore seek to control it through the government.

It is Microsoft which gave is Windows. Atleast be grateful to them for that and stop bothering them with stupid not to mention terribly injust lawsuits.

Asking Microsoft to remove IE or MediaPlayer is like asking a car seller to remove the A/C of the car as it is hurting other little car AC companies who cannot equal quality and productivity, therefore seek to control it through the government.

There is a difference between wanting to control the industry and wanting a fair go at competing on a level playing field. Your comment is way off base.
The analogy of the A/C is not relevant. Most large auto manufacturers buy outsource their A/C units from...yep ...smaller companies. And why would you want to choose another brand of A/C in your new car, would the air from someone elses unit be colder ?

I do feel somewhat qualified to speak on this subject. I'm an ex Wang engineer who had a mini computer in my home before the word PC was ever invented. I have been involved at all levels of this industry.
If you developed a product to compete with a MS product and you knew that your product was superior and far better value for money than Bill's, perhaps you would feel differently once you tried to flog your product to the marketplace.

And yes MS did develop windows and the industry and users will never forgive them for it :biggrin:

Wardw said:
There is a difference between wanting to control the industry and wanting a fair go at competing on a level playing field. Your comment is way off base.
First of all, the playing field cannot be level. Companies which have products better than yours and/or are larger than yours will find it easier to compete.

However everyone has a "fair" go at competing. Nobody is stopping you from using any tactic or strategy short of violence and physical force to defeat the other products.
If you can't keep up with the competition, then it is your fault. Nobody is going to give you money and resources to compete on a plate. You have to make them on your own.

My comment is not off the base.
Wardw said:
The analogy of the A/C is not relevant. Most large auto manufacturers buy outsource their A/C units from...yep ...smaller companies. And why would you want to choose another brand of A/C in your new car, would the air from someone elses unit be colder ?
That's exactly what I mean. Why would users want to switch to another piece of software if the one provided by Microsoft is good enough. If it is not, the users will shift. Why is there a need to violate Microsoft's property rights?

Wardw said:
I do feel somewhat qualified to speak on this subject. I'm an ex Wang engineer who had a mini computer in my home before the word PC was ever invented. I have been involved at all levels of this industry.
If you developed a product to compete with a MS product and you knew that your product was superior and far better value for money than Bill's, perhaps you would feel differently once you tried to flog your product to the marketplace.
It would be difficult yes. After all Marketing is also important. But if your product is much better, far cheaper and you have the marketing skills what can prevent you from success (except government and natural disasters)?

Isn't Linux slowly replacing Windows at least in some parts of the world?

Last edited:
I have to agree with Sid on his points. There is absolutely nothing "fair" about business. Where, anywhere, is it said that MS has to be fair? I agreed when the DOJ gave MS a load of problems when they made it impossible for windows to work without IE, but that's about as far as I go on the anti-MS platform.

I also hold every single user out there responsible for educating themselves on their own purchases. Even my somewhat feeble parents who now own a PC (and have forced me into creating my own tech support line) were somewhat educated before they bought their computer. I do not and never have accepted ignorance as a defense or reason to sue someone.

I'm sorry, but your reasoning makes no sense to me. Let's think about another item on a vehicle...the radio. Are you telling me that no one purchases aftermarket radios for their vehicles? Come on...that's silly. The market always has and always will dictate who can do what.

There is no "fair" in business, only "illegal." Prove what MS is doing to be illegal, nut unfair.

First of all, the playing field cannot be level. Companies which have products better than yours and/or are larger than yours will find it easier to compete.

If that theory holds true, it is like saying that all add on products that are made by OEM's are not as good as the original product.

That's exactly what I mean. Why would users want to switch to another piece of software if the one provided by Microsoft is good enough. If it is not, the users will shift. Why is there a need to violate Microsoft's property rights?

You said it. "If it is good enough" and if it's not, why should you pay for an inferior product that is bundled into the OS.

You are right though Fred, It's not a level playing field at all.
But there comes a time when critical mass starts dictating to the market and we have reached it. I wonder how much Americans would be paying for a train ticket or freight if the railroad industry had not been broken up, or for that matter how much a phone call would cost if AT and T had never been forced to spin off some units.
I'm not anti MS. They make some great products. If all their product were as good as Flight Simulator, no-one would have a beef.
But I am terrified that if no-body reins MS in now, 20 years hence our choices may be far more limited that we can imagine.

I aggree with wardw here, and I think these law suits are healthy, the business need regulation. Monopoloy although almost inherent to Capatalism is a bad thing for consumers, our choice goes down... These laws suits are geared at taking that monopoly away from M$...

That is the big reason why there are hardly any other decent non-free OS's out there, becuase of this monopoly, it makes absolutly no buisnes sense for someone to invest there money or stock holders money into trying to do this...

Anttech said:
Monopoloy although almost inherent to Capatalism

Glad to see people understand capitalism.

A monopoly is not inherent to capitalism, it defeats the entire point of capitalism--which is that competition will drive quality.

That is the big reason why there are hardly any other decent non-free OS's out there, becuase of this monopoly, it makes absolutly no buisnes sense for someone to invest there money or stock holders money into trying to do this...

So why not go for the decent Free OSs? They're cheaper and better.

franznietzsche said:

Would you please specify which market you have in mind when you conclude that free OSs are betterthan their propiertary counterparts?

Edit: If you say the peecee/hobbyist market without specifying that in your previous post, I'm seriously going to gag. If you say the enterprise/corporate environment, it'll be a cross between a gag and a laugh (mostly because of your ignorance). :tongue:

Last edited:
Wardw said:
You said it. "If it is good enough" and if it's not, why should you pay for an inferior product that is bundled into the OS.

You are right though Fred, It's not a level playing field at all.
But there comes a time when critical mass starts dictating to the market and we have reached it.
If that critical mass is reached, then a new competitor enters. And companies, even if they have 100% monopoly cannot increase prices indiscriminately as this will reduce the demand and possibly the profits.

Wardw said:
I wonder how much Americans would be paying for a train ticket or freight if the railroad industry had not been broken up, or for that matter how much a phone call would cost if AT and T had never been forced to spin off some units.
The railroad industry that was broken up was set up with government help. Railroads like the Great Northern which were set up without government help were a monopoly and were efficient. They never wielded their monopolistic power which defies your claim that a monopoly can dictate the market.

Keep in mind that even Standard Oil had 80% of the market but still kept the oil prices low. Similar with ALCOA.

graphic7 said:
Would you please specify which market you have in mind when you conclude that free OSs are betterthan their propiertary counterparts?

Edit: If you say the peecee/hobbyist market without specifying that in your previous post, I'm seriously going to gag. If you say the enterprise/corporate environment, it'll be a cross between a gag and a laugh (mostly because of your ignorance). :tongue:

Why should have to specify which, when from what I've seen, we've been talking about PC users in general anyway?

That said: Linux and FreeBSD. And as for your gagging, you go shove it where the sun don't shine for all i care.

franznietzsche said:
Why should have to specify which, when from what I've seen, we've been talking about PC users in general anyway?

That said: Linux and FreeBSD. And as for your gagging, you go shove it where the sun don't shine for all i care.

I just find it funny because you don't have any experience with FreeBSD in the first place. So, how can you know it can serve as a replacement for peecee users/non-corporate users? There's no telling what you'll say about something - something that you don't have any experience with.

As for shoving it, it seems every time that I correct you, it offends you for some reason. I suggest you grow up and come to like correction, or do something with your arrogant/ignorant attitude, or better, do both.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:

I think this whole situation is mostly driven by the general consumer's security/comfort zone. For 90% of the people out there, the off the shelf OS's that are packaged with store bought computers are more than enough and they don't question it. I hate to use the analogy again, but it's the same thing as automobiles. Most people take exactly what they get from the auto manufacturers and drive that car in that exact same configuration until it dies or they get rid of it. However, people know cars much better than new technology like computers, so people are much more likely to explore "out of the ordinary" platforms, additions, modifications, etc...

As soon as people are as comfortable with their computers as they are with their cars, I think MS will start really losing out on their market share. They are riding high because the general populace doesn't know or hasn't had the time to learn what they need to get out from under the canned OS. Give it some time. If MS doesn't look to changing their ways they are going to be in a world of hurt like the US's big three auto makers who are dinasaurs too.

Well, to chip in my miniscule fraction of a platinum ounce equivalent of two cents, I would just like to say that there are few that can match Microsoft in terms of lawyers.

graphic7 said:
As for shoving it, it seems every time that I correct you, it offends you for some reason. I suggest you grow up and come to like correction, or do something with your arrogant/ignorant attitude, or better, do both.

No, its your attitude that offends.

Correction is one thing, your comment about going to gag is another entirely.

I have yet to see you address a single 'correction' that was not a thinly veiled insult.

franznietzsche said:
No, its your attitude that offends.

Correction is one thing, your comment about going to gag is another entirely.

I have yet to see you address a single 'correction' that was not a thinly veiled insult.

Actually, I haven't bothered to correct you the majority of times you have mumbled something that is incorrect, either through your inexperience or your blatant Linux fanboyism (or both). Why? You don't seem to appreciate it when I do correct you. Proof of this would be:

Now, if you're finished spouting off the Linux `fanboyism,' i.e. `UNIX isn't perfect, but neither is Linux; however, there's nothing Linux can't do that UNIX can,' I'll be done.

graphic7 said:
Actually, I haven't bothered to correct you the majority of times you have mumbled something that is incorrect, either through your inexperience or your blatant Linux fanboyism (or both). Why? You don't seem to appreciate it when I do correct you. Proof of this would be:

Now, if you're finished spouting off the Linux `fanboyism,' i.e. `UNIX isn't perfect, but neither is Linux; however, there's nothing Linux can't do that UNIX can,' I'll be done.

Again, are you actually capable of posting without being an ******* and a dick? really, I'm dead serious. Can you?

Maybe you should see a therapist about that.

1. Why must Microsoft constantly release new updates and versions of their software?

One of the main reasons is to improve the functionality and performance of their products. By releasing updates, Microsoft can fix bugs, add new features, and enhance the overall user experience. It also allows them to stay competitive in the constantly evolving technology market.

2. Why does Microsoft have a monopoly on certain software, such as Windows?

Microsoft's dominance in the software market is a result of their early success and continuous innovation. They were one of the first companies to develop user-friendly operating systems and have consistently improved upon them. Additionally, their extensive partnerships with computer manufacturers have solidified their position as the leading provider of operating systems.

3. Why does Microsoft charge for their software instead of offering it for free?

Developing and maintaining software is a costly endeavor, and Microsoft needs to generate revenue to cover these expenses. By charging for their software, they can continue to invest in research and development and provide quality products to their customers.

4. Why does Microsoft collect user data and how is it used?

Collecting user data allows Microsoft to analyze user behavior and preferences, which helps them improve their products and services. This data is also used for targeted advertising, which helps them generate revenue. However, Microsoft has strict privacy policies in place to protect user data and allows users to control their privacy settings.

5. Why does Microsoft have so many different products and services?

Microsoft's diverse range of products and services cater to various needs and industries, making them a versatile and valuable company. By offering a wide range of products, they can reach a larger audience and provide solutions for different tasks and purposes.