Abstract Algebra, order of ab is equal to the order of a times the order of b?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in abstract algebra involving elements a and b in a group G. The goal is to show that if the greatest common divisor of the order of a and b is 1, then the order of their product ab is equal to the product of their individual orders. The conversation involves discussing the attempt at a solution and different strategies for approaching the problem.
zardiac
Abstract Algebra, order of ab is equal to the order of a times the order of b??

Hi!
I am working on some problems in abstract algebra and I am stuck at the moment. I hope some of you guys could help me out a little.

Homework Statement

a and b are two elements in a group G.
Assume that ab=ba.
Show that if GCD(o(a),(ob))=1, then o(ab) = o(a)*o(b)

Where o(a) is the order of a. (i.e. a^(o(a))=1.)

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I call o(a)=n, o(b)=m, o(ab)=k, then show that k=mn.
Since SGD(m,n)=1, then m and n are coprime integers, and I have this relation: 1=sn+tm, where s and t are some integers.

However I am stuck now and I am not sure how to use this or where to start.
So any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Clearly [itex](ab)^{mn} = 1[/itex], so [itex]o(ab)[/itex] divides [itex]mn[/itex]. Can you show that [itex]\langle ab\rangle[/itex], the subgroup generated by [itex]ab[/itex], contains subgroups of order [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]? If so, what does that imply?

jbunniii said:
Clearly [itex](ab)^{mn} = 1[/itex], so [itex]o(ab)[/itex] divides [itex]mn[/itex]. Can you show that [itex]\langle ab\rangle[/itex], the subgroup generated by [itex]ab[/itex], contains subgroups of order [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]? If so, what does that imply?

I am not sure why [itex](ab)^{mn} = 1[/itex] is clear.
[itex](a)^{n} = 1[/itex] and [itex](b)^{m} = 1[/itex] but does that say anything about [itex](ab)^{mn}[/itex] ? Sorry maybe to early in the morning for this, Ill think about what you wrote during the day and see where I get!
Thanks for the help

zardiac said:
I am not sure why [itex](ab)^{mn} = 1[/itex] is clear.
[itex](a)^{n} = 1[/itex] and [itex](b)^{m} = 1[/itex] but does that say anything about [itex](ab)^{mn}[/itex] ? Sorry maybe to early in the morning for this, Ill think about what you wrote during the day and see where I get!
Thanks for the help
You are given that [itex]ab = ba[/itex], so [itex](ab)^{mn} = a^{mn} b^{mn} = \ldots[/itex]

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It deals with abstract concepts and operations rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What is the order of an element in Abstract Algebra?

In Abstract Algebra, the order of an element refers to the number of times that element can be combined with itself through a specific operation before returning to the identity element. It is denoted as |a|, where a is the element and the operation is implied.

3. What does it mean for the order of ab to be equal to the order of a times the order of b?

This statement, also known as the order theorem, means that in a group where a and b are elements, the order of the product ab is equal to the product of the orders of a and b. In other words, if we repeatedly combine a and b together, we will eventually end up with the identity element, and the number of times we combined them will be equal to the product of their individual orders.

4. How is the order of an element related to its powers?

The order of an element is closely related to its powers. If an element has an order of n, then its nth power will be the identity element. Additionally, the powers of an element will repeat in a cyclic pattern, with the order of the element being the length of this cycle.

5. What are some real-life applications of Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra has various applications in different fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer science. It is also used in physics and chemistry to study symmetry and group theory. In addition, Abstract Algebra is used in economics to analyze market behavior and in biology to understand patterns in DNA sequences.