Introduction to Electrodynamics: External Field & Induced Charge

In summary, the problem discusses an uncharged metal sphere placed in a uniform electric field, causing positive charge to accumulate on the northern surface and negative charge on the southern surface. This induces a charge density and distorts the field in the sphere's neighborhood. The potential in the region outside the sphere can be found using the solution V(r,θ)=-E*(r-R^2/r^2)*cos(θ), with the first term due to the external field and the second term due to the induced charge. The induced charge density can be calculated using σ(θ)=-ε*(∂V/∂r)|r=R = 3*ε*E*cos(θ). However, the question is why the entire expression
mdmartin

Homework Statement

Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths, 3rd ed. pg 141-2, Example 3.8:

An uncharged metal sphere of radius R is placed in an otherwise uniform electric field E=(0,0,E). [The field will push positive charge to the northern surface of the sphere, leaving a negative charge on the southern surface. This induced charge, in turn, distorts the field in the neighborhood of the sphere. Find the potential in the region outside the sphere.

Solution: V(r,θ)=-E*(r-R^2/r^2)*cos(θ)
The first term is due to the external field; the second term is due to the induced charge.

If you want to know the induced charge density it can be calculated by:
σ(θ)=-ε*(∂V/∂r)|r=R =ε*E*(1+2*R^3/r^3)*cos(θ)|r=R = 3*ε*E*cos(θ)

My question: If we are being asked the induced charge density why don't we just use the voltage due to the induced charge? The author (and in other places I've found) use the entire potential but I haven't seen an explanation as to why.

Homework Equations

σ(θ)=-ε*(∂V/∂r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the math; I'm not understanding the physics. The problem statement says that the induced charge distorts the field in the neighborhood of the sphere. So what I think is happening is similar to a system dynamics problem where there is an initial overshoot, followed by bounce-back until there is a steady-state that is reached. Initially, the external field induces a charge which then changes the field near the sphere, which in turn modifies the induced charge, etc. until steady state is reached. So I think it may just be bad terminology because in the description of the solution to the potential there is a clear distinction between an effect due to the external field and one due to the (what I'm calling the newly created) induced charge whereas, in reality, the charge is entirely induced and, therefore, the entire expression for the voltage must be used. Does that make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
I might be necroing, but this question is also relevant for me. I am also reading the same example from Griffiths. If the uncharged metal sphere has a zero potential, then why does it imply that the xy plane has zero potential?

My question: If we are being asked the induced charge density why don't we just use the voltage due to the induced charge? The author (and in other places I've found) use the entire potential but I haven't seen an explanation as to why.
You are not given any information about the charge density right?

mdmartin:

I am trying to make your question clear. Do you want to understand what happens to the field outside of the metal sphere when the sphere is introduced?

1. What is an external field in the context of electrodynamics?

An external field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created by a source outside of the region being studied. It can be a constant or time-varying field and can interact with charges and currents in the region, causing them to experience forces and potentially inducing new charges.

2. How is an external field different from an internal field?

An internal field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created by charges and currents within the region being studied. It is typically a result of the interactions between these charges and currents and can also cause forces and induce charges.

3. What is induced charge and how does it relate to external fields?

Induced charge refers to the creation of a net charge on an object due to the influence of an external field. This occurs when an external field polarizes the charges within the object, causing a separation of positive and negative charges and resulting in a net charge on the object.

4. How does the presence of an external field affect electric potential and potential energy?

An external field can change the electric potential and potential energy of a system by altering the distribution of charges within the system. This can result in changes to the electric potential energy of individual charges and the overall potential energy of the system.

5. Can external fields be shielded or canceled out?

Yes, external fields can be shielded or canceled out through the use of conductive materials or by creating an opposing field. This can be useful in preventing unwanted interactions between external fields and the charges and currents within a system.