Estimate nuclear energy generation rate (formula given) per unit MASS MASS?

In summary, the given problem asks to estimate the nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass in the Sun's core, using the pp cycle. The necessary values are provided and after substitution and calculation, the final answer is found to be 3.186 x 10^-4 W/kg.
daleklama

Homework Statement

Consider energy generation in the Sun. Fusion through the pp cycle takes place within its core which has

r = 0.2 Rs
T = 1.3 x 10 ^ 7 K
rho (density) = 1.1 x 10 ^ 5 kg m^-3
X (total mass fraction of hydrogen) = 0.34

The nuclear energy generation rate for the pp cycle (where T6 = T/10^6K and density has units of kg m ^ -3) is

Epp = (0.241) (rho) (X^2) (T6 ^ (-2/3) ) exp (-33.8/(T6 ^ 1/3)) W kg ^ -1

Estimate epp per unit mass mass.

Homework Equations

Epp = (0.241) (rho) (X^2) (T6 ^ (-2/3) ) exp (-33.8/(T6 ^ 1/3)) W kg ^ -1

The Attempt at a Solution

I subbed everything in:

Epp = (0.241) (1.1 x 10 ^ 5) (0.1156) ( 13 ^ -2/3) exp (-33.8/ (13 ^ 1/3))
(T6 is 13, because it says in the question that T6 = T/10^6K)

and I got 3.186 x 10 ^ -4 as my final answer, I assume the unit is W kg ^ -1 because it was given in the formula.

The bit I'm confused by is that in the question it specifies "estimate epp PER UNIT MASS MASS."

That bit I haven't a clue about... did I do it wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
W/kg is fine if the problem statement is "per unit mass" (or "per unit mass mass" which looks like a typo).

1. What is the formula for estimating nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass?

The formula for estimating nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass is E = mc^2, where E represents the energy produced, m represents the mass of the material, and c is the speed of light.

2. How do you calculate the mass required to generate a certain amount of nuclear energy?

To calculate the mass required to generate a certain amount of nuclear energy, you can rearrange the formula E = mc^2 to solve for m. This will give you the mass in kilograms needed to produce the desired energy output.

3. What unit of measurement is typically used for mass in nuclear energy calculations?

The unit of measurement typically used for mass in nuclear energy calculations is kilograms (kg). This is the standard unit for measuring mass in most scientific calculations.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass, such as the type of material being used, the efficiency of the nuclear reaction, and the presence of any impurities or contaminants in the material.

5. How accurate is the estimation of nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass using this formula?

The estimation of nuclear energy generation rate per unit mass using the formula E = mc^2 is highly accurate. It is a well-established and widely accepted equation that has been verified through numerous experiments and calculations.