What type of map can i project onto a sphere to eliminate distortion

In summary, the conversation is about building a POV globe and finding the best projection for accurate representation of 2D images on a 3D plane. The person has researched and believes a Mercator map may be the best option, but is unsure if it will still have distortion. They are looking for the Earth's "aspect ratio" to manually distort the image or considering a Goodes Homolosine Projection to minimize distortion. They are also seeking advice on how to graft a Mercator version of the north and south poles onto the Homolosine projection.
VegaMan
This is not actual "homework." I am building a POV globe and I want to get as accurate of a projection as possible. The images I will upload into the globe will be a simple 2 dimensional image projected onto a 3 dimensional plane. I have researched and it appears that a Mercator type map is the best bet for this but I am unsure. If a Mercator map will still provide distortion, does anyone know what the "aspect ratio" of the Earth would be, so that I can manually distort the image or should I not even make the image rectangular?

This is basically what I'm going for except with color

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you can entirely eliminate distortion but you can minimize it with a Goodes Homolosine Projection. You will note that the north and south poles are ripped up a bit but if you graft a mercator version of those two land masses onto the homolosine you can probably get a good result. I have no idea how to do it. Maybe these folks do.

1. Can any type of map be projected onto a sphere without distortion?

No, it is not possible to project any type of map onto a sphere without some degree of distortion. The only map projection that does not have any distortion is the globe, as it is a three-dimensional representation of the Earth.

2. What is the most commonly used map projection for spheres?

The most commonly used map projection for spheres is the Mercator projection. This projection is often used for navigation purposes, as it accurately preserves direction and straight lines.

3. What are some other map projections that can be used on a sphere?

Other map projections that can be used on a sphere include the Lambert conformal conic projection, the Azimuthal equidistant projection, and the Stereographic projection. Each of these projections has its own unique characteristics and uses.

4. Why is it important to eliminate distortion when projecting a map onto a sphere?

Eliminating distortion when projecting a map onto a sphere is important because it allows for more accurate representation of the Earth's surface. Distortion can cause inaccuracies in measurements and distort the shape and size of landmasses.

5. Can map projection methods be used interchangeably on a sphere?

Yes, map projection methods can be used interchangeably on a sphere. However, it is important to carefully consider the purpose of the map and the intended use before choosing a projection method, as each one has its own strengths and weaknesses.