Electric Circuit Question - RC Circuit

In summary, Homework Equations indicate that the voltage across each capacitor will be Vx - the numbers are mentioned above and the charge at the capacitor should be the voltage across it times it's capacitance.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6339/rccircuit.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to find the node voltage. I was going to try and solve the problem knowing that the net charge is zero.

Q = CV

I'm having problems the voltage across each capacitor though because some branches are in series with resistors and power sources.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for the node voltage as a function of time, or the steady state value (t → ∞)?

I'm just looking for the steady state value of the voltage at that node.

Think about this:
At steady state, are the resistors of any use there?

They do absolutely nothing. So when I was trying to solve it using that the net charge must be zero.

(2*10^(-9))(Vx-12)+(6*10^(-9))(Vx-6)+(4*10^(-9))(Vx-0)+(8*10^(-9))(Vx-2)=0

which solves out to be 3.8 however when I build in circuit labatory I get just about 5 volts even.

I think I'm doing something wrong but am not sure what.

Here's a suggestion. You can see that at steady state no current will flow, and so no voltage drops will exist across the resistors. So redraw the circuit without the resistors (replace with shorts). Next, use superposition (one supply at a time).

GreenPrint said:
which solves out to be 3.8 however when I build in circuit laboratory I get just about 5 volts even.

I think I'm doing something wrong but am not sure what.

Had you grounded the circuit like it is shown in the circuit diagram?

Well that makes since and I don't know why instead of using superposition I can't just use the fact that the net charge must be zero at the node. I checked that the voltage before capacitor one is 12 volts, the voltage before the second capacitor is 6 volts, the voltage before capacitor 3 is 0, the voltage before capacitor 4 is 2 volts.

This is how I got my net charge equation and then just solve for the voltage at the node. The voltage across each capacitor should just be Vx - the numbers are mentioned above and the charge at the capacitor should be the voltage across it times it's capacitance.

Well, your result Vx = 3.8V looks fine (more precisely, Vx = (19/5)V). If you use the simulator's Time Domain analysis, set the parameter "Skip Initial" to "yes" before running the analysis. This prevents the simulator from futzing about trying to set or use some initial circuit conditions on the components before the simulation begins; you want the supplies to "turn on" and the capacitors to be uncharged when the simulation begins at time 0.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The capacitor stores electrical energy, while the resistor controls the flow of current in the circuit.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, the capacitor charges and discharges as current flows through the circuit. When the circuit is first turned on, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the power source. As current flows, the capacitor gradually loses its charge until it reaches a steady state. When the circuit is turned off, the capacitor discharges its stored energy back into the circuit.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads.

4. How do you calculate the voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the equation V = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where V is the voltage at a given time, V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

5. What are some applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have a variety of applications in electronics, including filters, timing circuits, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and digital logic circuits.