Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine | Transcience.com.au

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a game that is similar to Nim and the existence of a simple strategy for it. The strategy for two piles involves making the piles equal and copying the opponent's moves. The strategy for three piles is unclear, but the goal is to not have two equal rows. It is mentioned that there is a simple strategy for Nim no matter how many rows there are. There is also a discussion about the efficiency of finding the right move and a brain teaser about proving the strategy works. The conversation ends with someone confirming the strategy and discussing a mistake made while playing the game.
BicycleTree
Physics news on Phys.org
there is a strategy. if there are 2 piles (rows whatever) then if you go first you must take out of the larger pile to make them the same size. then whatever you opponent does, just copy him. that way you win. I am not sure about 3 piles, but i imagine its similar.

in three piles i haven't come up with a strategy yet but the idea i think is to make sure you don't end up with two rows with equal size... in fact you want him to end the third row while the other two have different sizes.

That's not a simple strategy. For Nim there is a simple way to win no matter how many rows there are. There must be some way to speed the computation because I just wrote a Java program to find the right move and although it works, it's taking forever on this problem (rows with 5, 7, and 11). Whereas Juan in the game can move very quickly. Of course my algorithm is very inefficient and recursive, needlessly re-calculating positions many (probably millions, in this case) of times.

Last edited:
Confim: There Is a simple strategy and it's a lot like the strategy for Nim. I just got to level 11, 10-2 my favor since I made a couple mistakes at the beginning. Now this is a real brain teaser. (fair to use Google to find the strategy for normal nim)

Further brain teaser (that I haven't solved): How do you prove that the strategy works?

You can beat it really easy... just open 2 games up... have one start first, then after he has started, you follow behind doing the exact same thing on the other one... and at the end, you will win... Oh, wait... that don't work for the 3ed version... anyway... on 1 and 2 it does... oh, too bad...

Last edited:
The strategy for Nim where you have win if you take the last pearl is very similar.
In fact, you can use the exact same strategy and only change your moves at the end when you can clearly see what the right move is. I got me to level 23, then made a stupid mistake by trying to take back a move by rewinding the flash applet. Then it crashed.

Yup! That's the strategy.

1. What is the "Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine"?

The "Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine" is a game-theoretic strategy developed by Nick Szabo in 1994. It is a simple but effective strategy for the game of Pearls before Swine, where two players must decide whether to take a large prize or a smaller prize. The strategy involves using a set of rules to determine the optimal decision in each round of the game.

2. How does the "Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine" work?

The strategy works by breaking down the game into a series of rounds and assigning a value to each possible outcome. The player then uses a set of rules to determine whether to take the larger prize or the smaller prize in each round. The rules are based on the expected value of each decision, taking into account the decisions made by the other player in previous rounds.

3. Is the "Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine" effective?

Yes, the strategy has been proven to be effective in multiple studies and simulations. It is considered to be one of the most successful strategies for the game of Pearls before Swine, with a high probability of winning against other strategies.

4. Can the "Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine" be applied to other games?

While the strategy was specifically developed for the game of Pearls before Swine, it can also be applied to other similar games involving decision-making and strategic thinking. However, the effectiveness of the strategy may vary depending on the specific rules and goals of the game.

5. How can the "Simple Strategy for Pearls before Swine" be improved?

The strategy can be improved by incorporating more complex rules and strategies, as well as taking into account the potential for the other player to also use the same strategy. Additionally, the strategy may need to be adapted for different variations of the game or in situations where there are more than two players involved.