Why do stars appear to have different colors?

• Thread starter nicedazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discusses how the color of stars appears to us, and how it is affected by factors such as the atmosphere and our own optical system. The sun is actually white, but appears yellow due to the atmosphere removing blue wavelengths. If the sun were blue and Earth's orbit was adjusted, everything would have a blueish tinge. The conversation also mentions observing stars at night and using a telescope to see their true colors.
nicedazed
Obviously if you looked at one it would appear white as it's so bright and stars are black bodies so emit all over the spectrum (correct me if I'm wrong). But as the sun is a yellow star, it looks yellow around it (unless that's the atmosphere of Earth getting rid of blue?) and has a yellow tinge.

If you were placed in space at a distance in the range of a few AU, would it literally appear blue?

If the sun were blue, and Earth's orbit were adjusted so that the new (blue) sun would appear as big as the current (yellow) sun does now, would everything have a blueish tinge?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The direct approach is to go out at night and look at a blue star. There is an obvious difference.

Thanks. Both good ideas. I never trust google image searching because perhaps the images are often not true colour. As for looking at stars at night, I'm sure so many of the stars seem to appear bluish, but then again I've never looked up at the sky with a telescope. Having said that, I've definitely noticed Betelgeuse looking redder from the naked eye.

Our sun is actually white to our eyes. Yes stars emit in all wavelengths, but they have a peak (actually, I believe our own star has a peak in the green wavelength - but a quick look at the Planck curve explains why we don't see green stars). You are right, it's the effect of the atmosphere removing the bluer wavelegnths from our view of the sun. If you looked up at it during the day, when it is directly above you (i.e. has the least amount of atmosphere to pass through) it would seem white. But we can only really look at the sun when it is rising or setting, that is when it is easiest on our eyes. Nearer the horizon the light from the sun has more atmosphere to travel through before photons register in our eyes, meaning the bluer wavelengths are removed more, so you see it as red/orange. The reason our clouds appear white is because the light from the sun is white If the light from it were primarily purple, we'd have purple clouds!

Stars like Betelgeuse though would appear red to you in the absence of an atmosphere.

Great question though. Colour really is all relative to us because of our optical system.

1. How do blue stars get their color?

Blue stars get their color from the high temperatures at their surface. The intense heat causes the atoms in the star to emit mostly blue light, giving the star its blue appearance.

2. Are all blue stars the same shade of blue?

No, the shade of blue can vary among blue stars. This is due to differences in temperature, size, and composition of the star.

3. How hot are blue stars compared to other stars?

Blue stars are among the hottest stars in the universe, with surface temperatures ranging from 10,000 to over 50,000 degrees Celsius. This is significantly hotter than the surface temperature of our sun, which is around 5,500 degrees Celsius.

4. Can blue stars turn into different colored stars?

Yes, blue stars can evolve into different colored stars over time. As they use up their fuel and their temperature decreases, they may become red giants or white dwarfs.

5. How common are blue stars in the universe?

Blue stars are actually quite rare compared to other types of stars. They make up less than 1% of all stars in the universe. This is because they have a relatively short lifespan compared to other stars, and are often found in more extreme environments such as star clusters or areas with high levels of star formation.