Can lost energy from inefficiency only be transferred as heat or radiation?

• Thread starter BasketDaN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss
In summary: I assume just very reflective surfaces surrounding the thing that is emitting radiationYes. The unused energy (ie. energy that is not used to do work) is dispersed into the environment in various forms (sound, heat, radiation). If your question is how to convert heat radiation (infra-red) into heat, you just absorb it with something. Infra red does not have much penetrating power. The energy loss due to radiation is:E = \sigma T^4 where \sigma = 5.67051 \times 10^{-8} W/m^2K^4
BasketDaN
I am just double checking an idea that I've always figured was true, but never really asked someone who knows about. In basically any machine that is not 100% efficient, the only "place" the lost energy (due to the inefficiency) can go is into its surroundings as heat energy, or radiation, correct? If this is so, how easily/effectively can radiation be contained and transferred back into heat energy? How is this done? (I assume just very reflective surfaces surrounding the thing that is emitting radiation)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
BasketDaN said:
I am just double checking an idea that I've always figured was true, but never really asked someone who knows about. In basically any machine that is not 100% efficient, the only "place" the lost energy (due to the inefficiency) can go is into its surroundings as heat energy, or radiation, correct? If this is so, how easily/effectively can radiation be contained and transferred back into heat energy? How is this done? (I assume just very reflective surfaces surrounding the thing that is emitting radiation)
If you are talking about heat engines, principles of thermodynamics prevent you from using a portion of the 'waste' heat to do work. So a portion is inherently inaccessible. If you contain or capture it, you just make the process more inefficient. It has to flow to a cooler reservoir in order to get work out of the heat. That is not to say that the heat cannot be used for purposes of heating. This is frequently done for example, in your car, and in industrial co-generation schemes.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If you are talking about heat engines, principles of thermodynamics prevent you from using a portion of the 'waste' heat to do work. So a portion is inherently inaccessible. If you contain or capture it, you just make the process more inefficient. It has to flow to a cooler reservoir in order to get work out of the heat. That is not to say that the heat cannot be used for purposes of heating. This is frequently done for example, in your car, and in industrial co-generation schemes.

AM

Indeed, and that's what I'm referring to. So my initial assumption is true, though?

BasketDaN said:
Indeed, and that's what I'm referring to. So my initial assumption is true, though?
Yes. The unused energy (ie. energy that is not used to do work) is dispersed into the environment in various forms (sound, heat, radiation). If your question is how to convert heat radiation (infra-red) into heat, you just absorb it with something. Infra red does not have much penetrating power.

The energy loss due to radiation is:

[tex]E = \sigma T^4[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma = 5.67051 \times 10^{-8} W/m^2K^4[/itex]

So if the temperature (eg steam) is in the order of 400K, you are looking at a maximum of 1.5 kilowatts/m^2 of radiation loss, or about 2 horsepower.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Yes. The unused energy (ie. energy that is not used to do work) is dispersed into the environment in various forms (sound, heat, radiation). If your question is how to convert heat radiation (infra-red) into heat, you just absorb it with something. Infra red does not have much penetrating power.

The energy loss due to radiation is:

[tex]E = \sigma T^4[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma = 5.67051 \times 10^{-8} W/m^2K^4[/itex]

So if the temperature (eg steam) is in the order of 400K, you are looking at a maximum of 1.5 kilowatts/m^2 of radiation loss, or about 2 horsepower.

AM

A compressor can be assumed as an adiabatic machine. There are no losses by radiation nor heat conduction to the environment. But the compressor communicates an irreversibility to the flow. That's another loose we haven't mentioned: the proper increasing of entropy of the flow through a turbomachine or heat engine.

In basically any machine that is not 100% efficient, the only "place" the lost energy (due to the inefficiency) can go is into its surroundings as heat energy, or radiation, correct?
Just a thought here that goes along with your other post. If that "machine" is a compressor (or pump or expander), the energy could also go into your working fluid. I suppose one could also say that eventually it will go into the environment, but for the purposes of engineering, the energy going into the working fluid due to a machine not being 100% efficient is an important consideration.

So basically there's only sound, heat, and infrared to take into consideration?

What is "loss due to inefficiency"?

"Loss due to inefficiency" refers to the decrease in productivity or output caused by factors such as inefficient processes, inadequate resources, or lack of proper training or technology. It can result in financial losses and hinder overall progress and success.

How is loss due to inefficiency measured?

Loss due to inefficiency can be measured by comparing the expected output or productivity with the actual output. This can be done through various methods such as time studies, performance evaluations, or cost analysis.

What are some common causes of loss due to inefficiency?

Some common causes of loss due to inefficiency include outdated technology, inadequate training, poor communication and coordination, and inefficient processes and systems. Additionally, factors such as low employee morale and lack of motivation can also contribute to loss due to inefficiency.

What are the consequences of loss due to inefficiency?

The consequences of loss due to inefficiency can range from financial losses to missed opportunities for growth and development. It can also lead to decreased employee satisfaction and morale, as well as damage to the overall reputation and success of a company or organization.

How can loss due to inefficiency be prevented or minimized?

Loss due to inefficiency can be prevented or minimized by identifying and addressing the root causes, implementing efficient processes and systems, providing proper training and resources, and fostering a positive work culture. Regular performance evaluations and continuous improvement efforts can also help in reducing loss due to inefficiency.