Total mass from mass distribution function

In summary, the problem involves finding the total mass of an object with a mass distribution described by the function m(r)=m0e-r from 0 to ∞. The appropriate integral to evaluate is m(0) + m(∞), with m(0) becoming just m0 and m(∞) becoming m∞e-∞, though this approach may be incorrect. The object is symmetrical and is rotating about its symmetry axis r=0.
noreally

Homework Statement

An obect whose mass is distributed according to function m(r)=m0e-r, for r ranging from 0 to ∞. Calculate total mass of the object. Write down and evaluate appropriate integral.

2. The attempt at a solution

well, I wasnt sure really how to start but thought it may be m(0) + m(∞) where m(0) would become just m0 leaving m0+ me-∞. Although i really have no idea.

This is part of a really strange module at my uni where there are no lectures and just a worksheet given out every other week with no guidance. :/

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
noreally said:

Homework Statement

An obect whose mass is distributed according to function m(r)=m0e-r, for r ranging from 0 to ∞. Calculate total mass of the object. Write down and evaluate appropriate integral.

2. The attempt at a solution

well, I wasnt sure really how to start but thought it may be m(0) + m(∞) where m(0) would become just m0 leaving m0+ me-∞. Although i really have no idea.

This is part of a really strange module at my uni where there are no lectures and just a worksheet given out every other week with no guidance. :/

Thanks for any help!

Do you see any symmetry in the mass distribution ?

Thanks for the reply, yes the object is symmetrical as the next part of the question is that its rotating about its symmetry axis r=0.

1. What is a mass distribution function?

A mass distribution function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a particle having a certain mass. It is commonly used in physics and astronomy to analyze the distribution of masses within a given system.

2. How is total mass calculated from a mass distribution function?

To calculate the total mass from a mass distribution function, you would need to integrate the function over the entire range of masses. This integration would give you the total area under the curve, which represents the total mass of the system.

3. Can a mass distribution function be used to determine the composition of a system?

Yes, a mass distribution function can provide information about the composition of a system. By analyzing the distribution of masses, scientists can infer the types of particles present and their relative abundance within the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using a mass distribution function?

One limitation of using a mass distribution function is that it assumes a uniform distribution of masses within a system. This may not always be the case, especially in complex systems with varying densities.

5. What other applications does a mass distribution function have?

A mass distribution function has various applications in different fields of science. It is commonly used in particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology to analyze the distribution of masses in different systems. It is also used in statistics and data analysis to analyze the distribution of data points.