EM radiation and Nuclear Radiation

In summary, the question is about radiation and which types cannot be detected by film and which has the shortest range in tissue. Microwaves and radio waves cannot be detected by film, and it is uncertain if gamma rays can be detected. Charge particles (beta and alpha) have shorter ranges in tissue compared to neutral particles (gamma and neutrons), with alpha having a shorter range than beta. The answer may also depend on the energy of the particles, which could be determined by looking at the Bragg curve.
madking153
hi , got 2 question about radiation:

1. Microwaves , radiowaves ,gamma rays and visible light - which one cannot detected by film?

2. Gamma rays , beta rays ,neutrons and alphas - which one has the shortest range in tissue ?( assume equal enegy)

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
madking153 said:

1. Microwaves , radiowaves ,gamma rays and visible light - which one cannot detected by film?

2. Gamma rays , beta rays ,neutrons and alphas - which one has the shortest range in tissue ?( assume equal enegy)

thanks

1. My guess would be the one with the lowest frequency.

2. I would think the largest (most massive) particle would have the shortest range.

The longer wavelengths (microwaves, radio waves) cannot be detected by film.

Charge particles (beta and alpha) have much shorter ranges, with alpha (heavier) shorter than beta. Neutral particles (gamma and neutrons) will penetrate quite deeply.

Can u explain why microwaves and radiowave cannot detected my film ? thanks

madking153 said:

Microwaves and radiowaves can't be detected by photographic film. I'm not sure about gamma rays but I doub't film can detect them.
I'm not sure that we can assume equal energy since the distance is a function of energy. Therefore it may be the case that when one has a lower energy it has a shorter range and when the energy is higher the range changes. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Pete

well, it is a question from Raphex - exam from Radiology ...

madking153 said:
well, it is a question from Raphex - exam from Radiology ...
So I take it that it doesn't give an answer anywhere (else you wouldn't be asking)?

Are you familiar with that Bragg curve? If so then take a look at it and compare the absorption curve with the absorption curve of neutral particles. It may help.

Pete

1. What is the difference between EM radiation and nuclear radiation?

Electromagnetic (EM) radiation is a form of energy that is propagated through electromagnetic waves. It includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, X-rays, and gamma rays. Nuclear radiation, on the other hand, is the energy released by unstable atomic nuclei through the process of radioactive decay, which can emit alpha, beta, or gamma particles.

2. How is EM radiation and nuclear radiation produced?

EM radiation is produced by the acceleration of charged particles, such as electrons, or by the transition of an atom from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. Nuclear radiation is produced by unstable atomic nuclei, either naturally or artificially, through the process of radioactive decay.

3. What are the potential health effects of exposure to EM radiation and nuclear radiation?

Exposure to high levels of EM radiation can cause damage to biological tissue, such as sunburn from UV rays or cellular damage from X-rays. Nuclear radiation exposure can cause various health effects depending on the type and amount of radiation, including an increased risk of cancer, radiation sickness, and genetic mutations.

4. What are some common sources of EM radiation and nuclear radiation?

EM radiation can come from both natural sources, such as the sun, and man-made sources, such as cell phones and microwave ovens. Nuclear radiation can come from natural sources, such as radioactive elements in the Earth's crust, or from human activities, such as nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons testing.

5. How can exposure to EM radiation and nuclear radiation be reduced?

Exposure to EM radiation can be reduced by limiting the time spent near sources of radiation and using protective measures such as sunscreen or lead shielding. Exposure to nuclear radiation can be reduced by implementing safety measures in nuclear facilities and properly disposing of radioactive waste.