What is the symbolic condensed version of Equation 2?

• Thread starter Orion1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to represent iterated integrals, including shorthand versions, using definite integrals with bounds, and defining an integral operator. The conversation also mentions using D^{-2} notation for derivatives.
Orion1

Equation1:
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} (x^n) = \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \frac{d}{dx} (x^n) \right] [/tex]

The LHS for Equation1 is the symbolic condensed version for the RHS, however, what is the LHS symbolic condensed version for Equation2 RHS?

Equation2:
[tex]\text{?} = \int \left[ \int \left( x^n dx \right) \right] \; dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int dx \int \left( x^n dx \right)[/tex]

[tex]\int dx \int \left( x^n dx \right)[/tex]

Interesting, I have never seen that version before. I was expecting something as:
[tex]\int \int x^n dx dx = \int \left[ \int \left( x^n dx \right) \right] \; dx[/tex]

However, what if I wanted to demonstrate an equation that must be integrated 10 times or even 100 times? Surely there must be a shorthand version?

It's somewhat rare to see iterated indefinite integrals: generally you would specify bounds, even if it's something like:

[tex]
\int_0^x \int_0^t f(s) \, ds \, dt
[/tex]

I've often seen high dimensional integrals written something like:

[tex]
\iint \cdots \int f(x_1, \ldots \, x_n) \, dx_1 \, dx_2 \, \cdots \, dx_n
[/tex]

with some additional text indicating the region of integration... or instead written as a single integral whose dummy variable ranges over a high-dimensional space.

Another option, which I suspect is the best one for you, is to define an integral operator. For example, you could define the operator I via:

[tex](If)(x) := \int_0^x f(t) \, dt[/tex]

and then you could indicate an iterated integral by [itex]I^nf[/itex].

Last edited:
You can write [tex]D^{-2}f(x)[/tex] and/or [tex]D^{-2}(x^n)[/tex].

1. What is Symbolic Methodology?

Symbolic Methodology is an approach used in scientific research to analyze and interpret data using symbols and mathematical equations. It involves the use of mathematical models to represent complex systems or phenomena in a simplified manner.

2. What are the advantages of using Symbolic Methodology?

Symbolic Methodology allows for a more systematic and rigorous analysis of data, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships that may not be apparent in qualitative data.

3. How is Symbolic Methodology different from other research methods?

Symbolic Methodology differs from other research methods, such as qualitative or quantitative research, in that it focuses on the use of symbols and mathematical equations to represent and analyze data. It also often involves the use of computer software to assist with data analysis.

4. What types of research questions can be answered using Symbolic Methodology?

Symbolic Methodology can be used to answer a wide range of research questions, particularly those that involve complex systems or phenomena. It is often used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics to understand and predict natural or economic processes.

5. Are there any limitations to using Symbolic Methodology?

Like any research method, Symbolic Methodology has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of research questions, particularly those that involve subjective or qualitative data. It also requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and may be more time-consuming compared to other research methods.