Factors have the most important role on one's personality

In summary, the conversation discussed the role of genes and environment on one's personality, specifically in relation to violent and criminal behavior. It was mentioned that there have been claims of a gene or genes causing violent behavior, but that it is rarely expressed in individuals who have not experienced a violent event in childhood. The importance of looking through journals for more information was emphasized, and the need for more explanation when making claims was also mentioned. The conversation concluded with a humorous remark about the likelihood of finding knowledgeable individuals on the topic.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Which factors have the most important role on one's personality and how? Genes or environment?
Is it true that many of criminals and indecent people had a difficult childhood and have grown up in an indecent family? And what's your defenition of a decent and indecent family?

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember hearing a program on the radio a few years back that involved researchers making a claim that they had isolated a gene or genes that caused violent, sociopathic behavior, but that it was rarely expressed in any person that had not experienced a violent event of some sort in early childhood. I'm sure there has to be something you can find in the journals about this, although I personally don't keep up much on behavioral sciences, and honestly, I doubt anyone else here does either.

Enviroment is the most important.

^
That's exactly why I advise you to just look through journals to see what you can find. All you're going to get here is bald assertions from people that have no clue what they're talking about.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

loseyourname said:
^
That's exactly why I advise you to just look through journals to see what you can find. All you're going to get here is bald assertions from people that have no clue what they're talking about.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'd be grateful if people explain more when they claim something! And yes, you're right I'd better to look through journals, but I like to have your opinion too. :smile:

loseyourname said:
^

No way. That never happens here.

What factors have the most important role on one's personality?

The most important factors that influence a person's personality are genetics, environment, culture, life experiences, and personal choices.

How do genetics affect one's personality?

Genetics play a significant role in shaping a person's personality. Our genes determine our physical features and also influence our behavior, emotions, and cognitive abilities. However, genetics is not the only factor that influences personality.

What impact does the environment have on one's personality?

The environment we grow up in also has a significant impact on our personality. This includes our family, friends, school, and community. The interactions and experiences we have in these environments shape our beliefs, values, and behaviors.

How does culture influence one's personality?

Culture is a set of shared beliefs, values, and behaviors that are passed down from one generation to another. It plays a crucial role in shaping our personality by influencing our beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors. Different cultures have different norms and expectations, which can have a significant impact on a person's personality development.

Can personality change over time?

Yes, personality is not a fixed trait and can change over time. While genetics and early life experiences play a significant role in shaping our personality, it can also be influenced by new experiences, relationships, and personal growth. People can also consciously make choices to change aspects of their personality that they are not satisfied with.